Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 15, 2004, 7:30 AM   #1

I have just purchased a grey grad filter for my Minolta Z1. I am a little unsure of the correct technique for using this filter.

Should I spot meter with the filter on or off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are having a nice spell of weather here in central Germany and I would like to get snapping!!

stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2004, 7:50 AM   #2

No sure of your terminology, but if you have what I think you have, it is a filter that effectively converts your camera into an incident-light exposure meter. The purpose of an incdent-light meter is to measure the light that is falling onto your subject and interprets that measurement as a correct exposure for a middle gray subject. The incident-light meter replaces the process of using a reflected lightmeter to measure the light reflecting from a gray card placed so that the light falling onto your subject is also falling onto the card. I.E. you do not have to cary a card.

So the correct way to use your camera+filter combination would be to point the camera toward the light that is falling onto your subject and accept the consequent reading as the same as the reading from an incident-light meter. I don't have your camera so I don't know what exposure modes you have, but I would suggest that an area mode would probably be the best since you will be measuring integrated light. It would be counterprodutive to use a spotmeter.

Hope this helps.

richard S.
scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote