Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 8, 2002, 5:08 PM   #1
Default resolution

I'm a new user of a Canon A40 and can't determine how resolution relates to picture size in my computer for e-mailing. Highest resolution gives best detail book says, but I've had two people tell me their pics were too large. Isn't the answer on their end, not mine? I compress to below 300 as it says. Any advice?
rkhndjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2002, 6:36 PM   #2

A lot depends on who you are emailing the shot to, and what they intend to do with it.

If it's simply for them to view on the screen, anything above about 1024x768 is probably too large. Typically I email jpegs at 800 x 600' and compressed fairly heavy.

If the user intends to print, then the full resolution image would be nice, but not everyone has email which will allow large files. Also, unless the recipient has a relatively fast connect (broadband, cable, DSL, etc.) it's going to put quite a strain on their time to download the images.

If by "resolution" you are referring to which capture resolution to use - always use the highest resolution available if you intend to print the image. You don't necessarily need to use an uncompressed format like tiff, just a low compression jpg will usually do nicely.

If your friends to whom you email the images complain about them being too large to look at - suggest they get a copy of something like IrfanView (freeware). This program automatically sizes in slideshow format to fit the screen. Here's the link....

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote