Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 25, 2004, 11:21 AM   #1

If anyone would like to share their suggestions I would greatly appreciate them...

I plan to purchase a Nikon D70 and Kaiden's 360 One VR to create virtual tours for real estate. As I'm sure most of you know, the D70 is a digital SLR, so I will also need to purchase the SLR Bracket to use the 360 One VR.

I realize that there are some quality limitations using the 360 One VR for creating panos. It seems that most professionals prefer to stitch together a series of shots to produce the highest quality panos and full screen QTVRs. I want to be able to do both: create quick and easy real estate tours and produce panoramic masterpeices.

I'd like to be able to use the same tripod and set up to do both. I don't know enough about tripods, heads, mounts etc. to choose what I would need. I know that I will be needing to use the SLR Bracket for some shoots, but I also want a set up to take more "professional" panos.

Can anyone suggest a practical solution for what all I would need besides the camera, the 360 One and the SLR Bracket? I need a solution that stays within a "prosumer" budget. Any particular brands and models would be helpful.
rbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2004, 4:57 PM   #2

I can't give you specific advice for your situation, but had a few thoughts while reading it.

I generall recommend gitzo and bogen/manfrotto as companies to look into. Gizto actually bought the other some time back. They make very good stuff.

I would suggest going to a store and actually trying some out yourself. Call around and see if you can find a camera store that stocks a variety of tripods and heads and then go give them a try.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 9:24 PM   #3

While you are out following the excellent advice from eric s about examining tripods, etc. you might want to keep in mind that panorama photography demands that the camera stays level during the pan. Some tripods are easy to adjust for levelness, others are not. One way out of this is to use a ball head at the top which gives a lot of freedom. I use a small circular level to make sure the attachment surface is level, but they are kind of hard to find. Kaidan sells a level for use with a monopod which should be useable with the centerpost of an ordinary tripod, if the tripod has good fiducial marks you are home free.

With the 6MP of your D70 your quality should be just fine for your purpose. The 360 one takes a circle out of the field which should leave about 4MP which should be adequate even with the heavy calculations needed.

Also, the vertical field of view of the 360 one is rather limited, which is why I backed away but should be OK for your applications.

Since you seem to be getting involved with QuickTime VR I thought I would mention the existence of the QTVR object movie, in case you were not aware of it. Sort of like the inverse of a QTVR pan, you could present a unit from the outside.

The area you are stepping into is represented on the web by a whole subculture. I do not know how much searching you have done, but you might want to look here for a useful focus on panorama toipcs:

I have been a Kaidan customer for a number of years and have been very impressed with their accessibility and helpfulness, it is a great company. They have a toll-free number and are always eager to talk with you.

Hope this helps.

Richard S.

scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 12:19 PM   #4

scaramouchereminded me of something else. You can get what is called a "leveling base" for a tripod. It replaces the center column& plate and is a device that you can use to easily level your camera without having to adjust the tripod legs at all. Gitzo sells one, but I think someone else does as well. Here are a few:

Another thing you will have to seriously consider is how indoor lighting is often fairly dark. The human eye can see in very low light, but a camera can't. So you'll have to take that into account. You'll probably have to buy some portable lights and stands to really do a good job at this.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:52 PM   #5

I would like to do some freelancing to help pay for this equipment. I was wondering how much can you charge for a panorama picture. I'm in the IT industry but photography remains to be my hobby.

gees is offline   Reply With Quote