Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:15 PM   #1

Hi----just recently purchased a Digital Rebel and love it so far. I am so confused about lenses though. My main purpose for this is sports photography, mostly running races.Need to know what lense is best for this. Also, I have heard about these dye sublimation printers. Need to know what's best for printing; dye sub or inket? If dye sub, which one prints 5x7? Thanks in advance for your advice.
deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 2:37 PM   #2

(Note, you might want to ask this question in the Canon Lens section further down the list of forums. That is where people who only use Canon Lenses go so the people reading it will generally know more about Canon lenses.)

How much money are you willing to spend? That will make a huge difference in what you get.

How far away will you be from the runners? Will you be using the camera for indoors or ourdoor meets? Can you use a tripod? A Monopod? Are they doing sprints or distance running (i.e. going fast or slow?)

Without knowing these things, I can't accurately answer your question.

As for printers, I believe the general state of the art is more towards pigment inkjet printers as opposed do Dye Sub. Although dye sub can produce good stuff (it should be said that my experience is with HUGE dye sub printers costings as much as small cars, so I don't know how good the consumer grade ones are.)

What do you want the printer for? Are you printing for yourself, or for others? Are you selling the prints? All these things effect what printer you buy. Personally, I would not sell a print that wasn't done using archive quality inks on archive paper. That starts to limit your choices. Epson has been the leader in archive quality inks for many years. Canon has caught up in some areas in the last year or two (at least that is my understanding.)

The Epson 2200 is a very nice printer that fits my criteria, but its one step larger than your asking for. It can print upwars of 13" wide, I believe.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3

You may want to read Steve's review of the HiTi 730PS if you are sure you won't need larger (i.e., 8"x10" or larger) prints.

The 730PS will print the 5"x7" prints you want, and also has a 6"x8" sizes available. This is a great size (6"x8") since it matches the 4:3 aspect ratio of a digital camera image perfectly without cropping.

BTW, the HiTi printers seem to be well liked by users. See Steve's comments on it in the review conclusion.

Personally, I'm using an Inkjet (HP) for prints. However, as Eric mentioned, Ink Jet prints can be subject to fading (which is why archival ink printers like the Epson 2200 are popular with some users). There are pros and cons to this type of printer (vibrancy of colors, how "true" are the blacks, etc.).

Dye Sub printsdon't have a problem with fading, and are designed to be UV and water resistant, and should last as long astraditional prints from film. You also don't have the hassles of color accuracy/paper matching you tend to have with inkjets.

As far as lens selection, you'll need to givemore information, as Ericsuggested.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:03 AM   #4

I've been taking pictures of track and field and cross-country running events for a small local paper for nearly two years now.

Actually, the most useful lens is a wide angle. If you can get a 28mm (in 35mm equivalent), you will be all set. A nice flexible setup would be a 28-200mm zoom lens (35mm equivalent).

A small tip: As you have a rebel, you've got 6 megapixels to work with, so you've gots lots of room to crop your photos. So, shoot wide! Try to take shots with lots of room in the frame. Later you can crop the photos on your computer.

If you shoot too tight, specially with running pictures, there's a tendency to cut off feet, heads, or missing interesting groupings.

So put on a 28mm lens, get down by the track close to the runners, and shoot!

I have a detailed writeup on sports photography at www.thezeal.com

You have to hunt around a bit on that website to find my article.

Terry Reiber
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote