Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:17 PM   #1

:?Can someone help? I was shooting a bunch of interior and exterior photos with my new Canon PowerShot A80. I shot some in the auto mode and some in the manual mode. I thought that I was shooting everything at the highest resolution and highest pixel rate. However, some of my shots ended up at medium resolution. Can anyone venture to explain this to me?
CAVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:29 PM   #2

I don't own your camera model. However, from a quick glance at the review, it appears that the resolution and compression options are available under both the Auto and Manual modes.

So, I'd speculate that in Auto Mode, you had the camera set to 2272x1704 resolution, and in Manual Mode, you had the camera set to 1600x1200 resolution.

Chances are, your camera will "remember" the last setting used in each mode. So, if you set the resolution as desired in all modes you will use, it will probably stay as set when changing between modes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:20 AM   #3

I have the A60 and what JimC said is right. When you change modes check what size and compression are set at and change it to what you want and the camera should remember your settings next time. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:08 AM   #4

These guys are right. I had an A70 which got the lens busted, then an A80 (which I still have) and now an S1 IS. They're all the same this way. You set the resolution in one mode, and it's set independently of another mode. One of the first things I did was went through all the modes that I use (mainly P, Av, Tv, and M, as well as movie and maybe auto and a few others which I rarely use) and made sure the settings were close to where I wanted them (and btw I have the shortcut button on my S1 set up to change the ISO speed).
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote