Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:40 AM   #1

I am in a dilemma here!! I need to buy a device that will allow me to get both still image and video. I know I could get a digital camera and use the removeable media to record video or I could get a camcorder that would record videos and take still images. However I am looking for something that will give me decent quality for both (pictures and video). I willuse both still imaging and video recording equally. Can any one suggest whether I should buy a digital camera or a camcorder? Could you also suggest some models?

nikla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:57 AM   #2

No one can make the decision for you...YOU have to decide which format is more important to you; digital cameras take great stills, but mediocre video, and there are camcorders that take great video but mediocre stills.

Some newer digicams (like the Olympus C-770) can do MPEG4 (almost) VHS quality, but can only record a few minutes before filling up the memory card.

Suggest if both are equally important, go to a place that sells older stock (albeit with full warranty)...and buy last years camcorder and digicam so you'll save a few bucks (but you'll still have to carry two devices).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:06 AM   #3

You might care to have a look at the latest 3CCD Panasonic NVGS400B Digital Video Camcorder - 4.0 Megapixel Still images - 12 x Optical - Leicar Dicomar Lens - Mega Optical Image Stabiliser - 3.5" LCD Monitor - Simultaneous Motion Video & Picture Recording - SD Compatible - Webcam Function
Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:19 AM   #4

Maybe it is worth waiting for the pentax optio mx. I hope to get that one as it has a mpeg 4 movie clip and 10 x zoom and it is very compact.

I should be comming in the shops in a few more weeks.

i can't wait for the revieuws!

Good luck!

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote