Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:04 PM   #1

:OOk, I have narrowed my choice to these two cameras: The Olympus C-740 and the Canon A75. Both can ve had for a little over $200 right now.

My wife has a pentex 35-105 zoom film camera we are trying to replace with a digital one. She mostly uses it as a point and shoot camera for vacations, kids activities, etc. She does use the zoom a lot, and would love to have a larger zoom.

These are my impressions of the two cameras:

Canon: Smaller size, easy to use, great photos, works well with Mac OS, takes cheaper Cf cards, works better in low light, no Tiff mode (I hearrecording tiff images on most cameras is real slow?) The zoom is only about 38-105mm optical (less than she has now). Can add-on a telephoto (more cost, and maybe too much of a hastle for her). Is Digital zoom useful at all? can I maybe use 1X Digital to help compensate for lack of optical zoom?

Olympus: Larger in size (but still ok), not as easy to use as the A75, great photos, works with Mac OS, takes expensive XD cards, Tiff mode (too slow to be useful?), does not work as well in low light, and has more lag between shots than the A75. The zoom is only about 38-3XX something optical (very attractive to her, but may not be so useful without a tripod? - which she will not use).

Both need an adaptor for a lens filter - can I get by without a filter?

Thiswill beour first digital camera. Thanks for any help.
Thumbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:54 PM   #2

Well, I am not the expert you were probably hoping for, but I really think the 740 is the way to go on this. I have been considering the 750, and at times have leaned towards tehe 740 because they are so cheap right now. THe 380mm zoom is very cool to have. The 740 isn't as easy to use??? Put that thing on auto and go, total simplicity.

Yeah, Xd cards are a bit spendier, but how many do you want? I think I will buy two 128's, one to start with and one later, but all images will get transferred to the computer and CD's. So, how much do you really save buying the canons type of memory?

Go with the 740, she'll love the zoom and the camera is not tough to operate.

Good Luck
Hornseeker is offline   Reply With Quote