Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:58 PM   #1
Default What compression Mode is best for quality 8X10 prints

I have a Canon G2. I am curious what Jpeg level should I use as my default if I want to print 8X10 at higest resultion (4MB)? Any suggestions/data on print quality for 8X10 or higher versus level of compression will be helpful.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2002, 1:39 PM   #2

There are going to be many factors that will have an effect on how the large print comes out like the color calibration on your system, printer type, etc.

The lowest compression setting is usually the best for capturing as much detail as possible.

On my Nikon I have at least three settings with high being high quality with the lowest amount of compression for jpegs.

There sometimes is a different setting for RAW or Tiff images, which is the highest level of detail for some cameras, so if you are ok with the large files this is the mode to choose for the least amount of compression.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 4:32 PM   #3

Hi Jas,

For what it's worth, my feeling about which resolution to use is that I'd hate to get the "World's Best Shot" and then find I didn't use a high enough resolution to print something to best effect.

I have a G2 which I'm very happy with, and I've settled on the highest-quality (lowest compression) JPEG format. I find the RAW format too much trouble as it would always have to be converted to something else to use and to my eye I'm VERY happy with 13" x 19" prints this way.

Of course it helps that I use IBM 1gb MicroDrives!

You can always reduce the resolution/quality AFTER you take the shot, but you cannot increase it!
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote