Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:03 PM   #1
Default Red-eye and Nikon coolpix 995

I have a nikon coolpix 995 and even with the "red-eye" setting I consistently get "red-eye" pictures of my infant daughters. Am I doing something wrong here? Please enlighten the ignorant.

warp1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:41 PM   #2

Unfortunately that is a direct consequence of having the flash so close to the lens. To get better results you'll need to use an off camera flash. Red eye pre-flash will help some but only if it causes the subject's pupils to constrict enough.

Some folks are prone to red eye no matter what. I've shot a woman using umbrellas 45 off the camera axis but still get consistent red eye from her. That's an exception though.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 1:01 AM   #3

I second to mr. padeye's comment
The RedEye feature in any camera basically reduces the red eye effect from the picture, but does not altogether eliminates it.
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:37 AM   #4

It is the lens-eye-flash angle that comes into play. Since the distance between the lens and flash is fixed (and small), decrease the distance to the eye to increase the angle.

In other words, get closer.

Might not solve the problem, but it is worth a try. If that doesn't work, get an external flash or shoot without a flash.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 4:23 PM   #5

If you can not take the fash off the camera hot shoe for off camera flash mode, or using the built-in flash, to minimize the risk of catching the red-eyes, turn on all the available lights when you're taking picture indoor...genreally, you will get the favorable results...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote