Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:32 AM   #1

I'm thinking to buy a camera with 10X zoom (or more) capability, either Panasonic FZ10 or Canon S1. I manage to get Panasonic FZ10 and Canon S1 at USD513 and USD447 respectively.

Both are great camera. I'm looking for a camera with good image quality and value for money. Could anyone, please give mea second opinion?
lks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:51 PM   #2

For myself the FZ10 is the winner and I especially like the IS feature it is great especially since it can either be on "full time" or respond only with a 1/2 press on the shutter button. You can then watch as your photo comes into focus and snap.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:06 PM   #3

They both appear to be good cameras. The S1 is more compact but almost as heavy once you put the NiMH batteries in it. 4Mp is marginal for me and 3 would be too little, but that is purely a matter of my having a wide format photo printer.

I have an FZ10 and am generally pleased. The flash is weak and the EVF doesn't brighten in low light so you can use manual focus. It doesn't read out the focus distance in manual focus, so you are pretty much stuck with hoping the auto-focus works. You need a flash attachment for it, but there are inexpensive auto models that work fine.

I like the control setup on the S1 better. You can do things like switch to spot metering and change the flash mode without going to the menu. The FZ10 is purely menu driven although the navigation isn't bad. The S1 has a much stronger flash. I like the articulated LCD even though it is smaller. I also like the orientation sensor. It isn't that big a deal to bulk rotate the images but you shouldn't have to.

I think the S1 is a better designed camera overall and the stabilization works well. But 3Mp isn't a lot these days.

I have grown to like the stabilization to the point where I will never buy a camera that doesn't fit in my pocket again without it. It is both great for telephoto shots and available light at wider angles.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote