Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:12 AM   #1

I am buying my first digital camera in preparation for a big trip we have planned. I am looking at getting an Olympus. I don't want a simple point-and-shoot, but would prefer something that can be manual or automatic. I would also prefer not to spend more than $600.

I was thinking of buying a C-5000Zoom. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a better Olympus out there or any reason why I shouldn't buy a C-5000Zoom?

I was sticking to Olympus just for simplicity and because they seem to be quite good, but if anyone can convince me that another brand will give me more bang for my buck, I'm definitely listening.

Thank you very much, in advance, for your help! I appreciate it.
newbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:45 AM   #2

I can't tell you what to buy, but if you're buying this for a "big trip" buy the camera AT LEAST A MONTH IN ADVANCE!!!

You said this is your first digital camera, if you buy it just before you leave first of all you may end up with a lemon. Second, not being familiar with the camera if you don't have any practice with it, you'll be spending your trip reading manuals; I bought an Olympus C-700 Ultra-Zoom a month before I left on my vacation, but when I was away there were still advance features I was unfamiliar with and had to keep going back to the manual for, and I was using an advanced SLR for 20 years before that.

I'm not knocking the C-4000 here, but it's almost two years old, and there have been many model upgrades and improvements since then (unless you are getting a VERY good price for it).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:54 AM   #3

Wow, that's really good to know. Thank you. I'll try to pick the camera this week.

I've edited my post to the C-5000Zoom because it is newer. This camera gets a good rating on the Steve's Web site? Does anyone have anything to add to that?

Other than having the time to learn the camera,are there any other big cautions I should consider?
newbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote