Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

Just wondering what people are using out there. I want to buy a new monitor that would be a good match for photo work. I hear that the CRT type are still the best way to go for resolution. Any suggestions? Thanks
Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:58 PM   #2

Well, I can't stand Trinitron/Aperture Grille monitors due to those 2-3 damn black lines that run horizontally across the monitor (some people say they can't see them, but I see them on EVERY one of these monitors even if no one tells me it's a aperture grille.

The non-aperture grille monitor that I've found that is really nice is the 19" (18" visible) Samsung SyncMaster 957MB. At the time I bought it, just over a year ago, it was the top rated CRT monitor (even over the Trinitrons). It has a nice long warranty too (three years).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:41 AM   #3

CRTs a definitely still the way to go currently for resolution as well as colour rendition. Yes, there are those horizontal tension wires on Sony trinition tubes as Mikefellh mentioned - but if you can't see them (some people can, some can't) they offer fairly good image quality otherwise. Viewsonic G90F is agreat budget 19 incher IMHO,or their P series for pro stuff.

I feel CRTs still have a surprising tendency for variability from sample to sample - so if you're really fussy or meticulous about image quality, get the shop you intend to buy from to turn on the unit you intend to buy. This is especially true of the lower price end of the market.

I guess it may not matter for northern hemispherefolks, but here downunder some parallel importers bring in tubes calibrated for northern hemisphere marketsand the incorrect calibration (for earth's magnetic field) renders the picture distorted and there may not be sufficient adjustments or settings to overcome that. Just something to watch out for - the most obvious telltale sign is the right upper corner of the tube.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 8:38 AM   #4

Although most conventional wisdom will tell you that CRT is the way to go, I would like to mention that good LCD's will yield very good results, so if you need the other benefits of LCD, you don't have to rule them out.

Regardless of which type monitor you go with or which specific model monitor you choose, factor in the cost of calibration hardware & software to your budget. Even the best CRT or LCD will not produce reliable and consistent results unless it is calibrated on a periodic basis.

Edit: BTW, I use a Samsung SyncMaster 171P (flatscreen LCD) and calibrate it with a Colorvision Spyder and Optical software. The screen output consistantly matches my printed output (at least to the naked eye) and I am very pleased with both the LCD screen and the prints (Canon i960, RedRiver paper and associated profiles).
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 8:53 AM   #5

I switched to an LCD over a CRT because the LCD was easier on my old eyes. Ohenry has made a good point about keeping either type of display calibrated.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:48 AM   #6

Thanks guys... well for my needs, I have the feeling that I will be able to buy a much better CRT and larger for what I could buy an LCD for. Calibration will be an important next step.

Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 7:18 AM   #7

Long before computers, we in the art field used "proof prints". After I get my computer, monitor and printer reasonably adjusted I start saving my roofs" with some notes written on them. You might surprise yourself on how well this will improve your future work? My opinion is that to produce top quality art work (photos)you can not rely on technology alone.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:06 AM   #8

in 2003 I bought a Viewsonic A70f+ & I love it! At that time Office Depot had them & the 19" in stock. Now that I want the 19" (should have gotten it then) they no longer even carry them in their system. Everything is going LCD, but I will stick with my CRT any day! Guess I can mail -order a 19", but a New CPU will have to come next.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 4:01 PM   #9

For a reasonable price I would recommend the LaCie monitors. They are very good at a reasonable price. They are designed from the ground up to be for photo editors/graphic designers. The 21" model is under $700 (which is very good for its quality.)

People are right that there are good LCD displays out there now, but the good ones are VERY expensive. Very.

The top end of CRT displays is (argueably) the Sony Artisan, at around $1700:

for a review. It is supposed to be absolutely amazing (from people who do color calibration for a living.) Personally, I'll stick with a ViewSonic or the LaCie. I've always been a HUGE ViewSonic fan, but their market isn't explicitly photo editing, so I don't know if they have the controls that allow for the best calibration.

I also wanted to mention what others have said. Get some kind of monitor calibration system. Its high on my list of something to get... and I should have done it awhile back. But a new lens calls first.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:26 PM   #10

Ironically, I was just messing around with my monitor out of bordem. I click something called 'Color Return'. It threw my monitor colors way out of wack. I had to use the factory reset button to get my colors back. It's a Dell monitor, but I believe its really a repackaged Sony Trinitron.

For the most part, the color came back. But, I lost all my old brightness/contrast/color settings. Even after trying to restore it, I can't seem to get back to what I had.

Well, enough crying. I was considering syncing my monitor's colors to my printer, but I'd rather use a standard and bring both in line. Where can I get something like a 'proof print'?
Effen is offline   Reply With Quote