Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 14, 2004, 1:23 AM   #1

I know what the F-stop on a camera means, it's the measurement of the aperature (iris), etc.

But, why is this important? Recently, I've been looking at buying either the Canon S410, or the Canon S50. Considerable price difference here in Canada, but, one thing I did notice was the lens. The F-Stop are quite different, and I thought this may be a important factor.

Any help would be great!

Keyoke of Canada
Keyoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:15 AM   #2

an fstop...like you said measures the size of the opening that let's light in to the sensor

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"but,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"it also effects the "DOF" (depth of field) which means, the smaller the hole (bigger the stop number) the greater the depth of field will be....or, the more of the picture will be in focus.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"this also effects exposure....like if you want your picture to have a slow shutter to pan blur a background, or blur the water to make it "silky smooth"...you set the arperture really small, to let the least amount of light in as possible...allowing the shutter to stay open longer (to let more light in, but the amount of light is the same as if the shutter was faster and thearperture was larger....)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i would suggest taking a trip to a local library or bookstore and checking out the photography section, doesn't need to be digital photography, just photography, to learn the basics on exposure, and shutter, arperture, the whole lingo

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"hope this helps

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:17 AM   #3

And to make sure the point is clear, the opposite of what photosbyvito said is true.

The larger the aperture, the faster the shutter speed. This allows you to stop action. A biker going by, or a child playing soccer. And since its a physical attribute to the lens, you can't get it back. If you need 1/500th and you can't get it because the max aperture is f4 (not f2.8) then the only things you can do are add more light (which can look artificial or look good, who knows? but it will certainly chance the scene) or increase the ISO (which adds more noise... and can look bad.)

There is really no good substitute for a fast lens (low fstop, large aperture.)

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote