Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:49 AM   #1

I am going on a 3-week trip to Hawaii and I am considering that the best option may be to buy some large xD cards and have them burnt to CD at Kinko's or camera shops every couple of days. I am going to Oahu and the Big Island.

Does this seem to be a good option? Can anyone think of any reason why this would not work so well in Hawaii?

I was also thinking about one of those portable CD burners, but one of those will cost me about $400 in Canadian funds. I thought that this would buy a lot of CD burns in Hawaii. Plus I read that whole thread with the "old Chinese proverb" theme that had people writing for and against portable CD burners and downloading to disk drives.

I appreciate your thoughts on this!

Thank you very much!
newbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:51 PM   #2

For under $200-300, you should be able to pick up a 20gig portable HD that reads CF cards directly and copies to the HD. Some models will also allow you to view the images (jpg). Considering a 1 GIG CF card will set you back $200 or so, seems like a viable alternative.

And Hawaii has all of the conveniences of the mainland...at least on Oahu
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:01 AM   #3

I use a Mindstore 5GB Portable HD that accepts PCMCIA adapters for my CFII cards.
I've used this extensively on all my major trips. Even though I travel with three 512mb cards, I shoot in TIFF mode (23mb) file for most all shots except the "tommy tourist" and family pics.

I don't know if they are still available, but for the $200.00 I paid for it two years ago, it has been a life-saver for me, and saved me time and money in the long run.

There are other companies out there that make these in case Mindstor (made by Mindsatwork) I think is no longer available.

Good Luck and Happy Trails
jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:50 AM   #4

Hello newbuyer,

If you already have a laptop, bring that.

The advantage is you can edit your photos and have your slide show, ppt, etc good to go upon return.

Also, you can buy a USB card reader dirt cheap to go with it.

Also #2, you may find forum members here that reside in Hawaii
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote