Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:46 AM   #1

Hi experts,

What's the difference between a Sandisk Ultra II 256 mb SD card and the Panasonic 256 mb equivalent? Any preferences? From my reading it seems both are excellent so it probably won't matter (want it for Nikon 3700). Any advice appreciated.

daniel guzej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:51 AM   #2

Go Sandisk Ultra II, Daniel.

Proven product.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:55 AM   #3

I use Sandisk Ultra II cards, I have a 256 and a 512 and they are really fast at writing. They are Much,Much faster then the Sandisk standard cards I was using which were a 96 and a 128. I don't have experience with other brand cards so all I can tell You is the Sandisk Ultra II cards are fast and reliable. I got My cards off of E-Bay and saved a bunch of $$$$.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:36 AM   #4

You don't say how fast the Panasonic is, my assumption is that its 12-18x or so. If its less than that, then your camera can probably write faster than that card can take data. So then the Ultra II would probably make a noticable difference.

The ultra IIs are about the fastest cards out there. but the reality is that most cameras can't write fast enough to take advantage of them.

So while the SanDisk should be faster than the Panasonic, it might not actually be worth paying the extra for the SanDisk when the performance differencecould be fairly small.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:15 PM   #5

From my recent experience I'd mention one thing. If you buy from an EBay vendor, make sure they are an authorized reseller. I bought a SD256 SanDisk Ultra II card that has a bad sector (becomes corrupt around the 100 picture mark despite reformatting, etc.). Anyway, I had trouble dealing with SanDisk customer service because I couldn't prove I bought it "NEW" on EBay. However, it is in the process of getting replaced.

This may apply to other vendors too. So much is bought and sold on EBay because prices are better. When I bought a new Lexar card, I took a photo of the sealed package in case I ever need it.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote