Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:50 AM   #1

I'm building a new machine and I have a new DVD+/-RW waiting to be installed.

I am looking for suggestions on how to store my photos to DVD. I'm wondering is there a format that will allow me to view images on a DVD player? However I plan on storing them in a lossless format which is more important to me. What is a good way to store them for easy viewing and portability between computers?

Short-term I'm actually more interested in scanning some of the old family photos before time reaks anymore havoc on them (although my mother has taken very good care of them). I am interested on any suggestions on formats and resolutions to store these in.

I searched past threads, but most dealt with CD and not DVD. I thought this might make a difference.
Effen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:01 PM   #2

we have an APEXDVD player and it shows regular jpg images that were burned on a CD
rony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:35 PM   #3

There is no really difference between CD and DVD, aside from the size, when it come to storing photos. Buy a good quality DVD +/- R and save your photos in the highest quality you can. Just remember that the media life expectancy is not really known, so the disk may just stop working one day..

When I want to create a dvd for viewing I dont just dump the pictures to a disc in JPEG format. I like to use a program like EZ Media Creator to create multiple slide shows that you can select from a menu.. I find this a little more useable then having a disk with 1000+ images that starts at the beginning and slowly displays each in order..

And finally, buy one DVD RW if you do plan on using menus and special features for your DVDs. I use it to burn a test disk to make sure things will turn out like I want. When I have my ideal disk I copy it to a normal DVD +-R and re use the RW for my next project..
twl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:39 PM   #4

heres some links that might be worth looking over for how long cd/dvd will last

macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote