Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:39 AM   #1
Default Best way to clean????????????????

Hey Guys:

Which is the best way to clean the lens & viewer on a digital camera?

Damp rag, alcohol swab????????
Macaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2002, 9:56 AM   #2

Some manufacturers of optical gear recommend certain solvents, I stay clear of solvents as some that are ok for coated glass optics will attack some plastics.

I have never had any problems simply blowing off the dust first and then breathing on the lens and using a good lens cloth - do not use any old rag or tissue paper.

If your lens is very greasy several goes will do the trick.

Safe solvents (as I call them because they don't usually attack plastics) e.g. Iso Propyl Alcohol, ethanol are not particularly good at removing grease and the ones that tend to be good solvents can often attack plastics. As you don't know what type of plastics have been used making your camera it's impossible to know which solvents are safe to use.

Burris, the makers of my telescopic rifle scope recommend acetone for the lenses but the scope is made mainly of aluminium. Certain plastics such as polystyrene (Bic Biros) will turn cloudy in contact with acetone.

IPA or ethanol are often safe but at your own risk and don't slosh it all over the place - a damp cleaning cloth.

The bottom line is keep solvents away from plastics unless you are certain it is safe to use.

steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2002, 11:40 PM   #3
Default Best way to clean

Use Kodak lens cleaning fluid and lens tissue , or Edmund lens cleaner they are safe for plastics and glass .
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote