Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:37 PM   #1

I have seen D70 and Panasonic new digicam with 12X zoom. The lense on the panasonic (it is a Leica) have 12X zoom range and f2.8 throught the entire lense. Why is this camera so cheap? USD 500?

Normally ONLY the lense with 12x zoom and f2.8 would cost over USD 1000 alone!

can anyone explain this?
thommas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:02 PM   #2

Keep in mind that "Super Zoom" models use very tiny CCD Sensors. The Panasonic is using a 1/2.5" (.4") CCD.

Because the image circle can be much smaller, you can use a much shorter focal length lens, to get the same equivalent focal length of a 35mm camera.

BTW,the D70 has a dramatically larger APS-C size sensor (compared to the Panasonic's tiny CCD). However, sincethe D70'ssensor is still smaller than 35mm film, youmust use a focal length multiplier (i.e., crop factor). For example: a 50mm lens on the Nikon D70, looks like a 75mm lens to a D70 (you must multiply the focal length by 1.5x with this camera, toget the 35mm equivalent focal length).

The Pansonic lens is actually a 6mm-72mm lens, but when used with such a tiny sensor, you getthe equivalent of 35-420mm lens in a 35mm camera.

Also, I suspect that the lens is probably made in Japan, under license from Leica

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 6:04 AM   #3

The Z10 CCD is even smaller than that. It's about 5mm. The D70 is 23.5mm.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote