Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2004, 5:52 PM   #21

ledderlappan wrote:
Actually the F717 get's rated a lot better than the s7000at dpreview.com. Need to read the 2 review's again (just looked at it very quickly)

But I have read some buyers reviews on it's bigbrother, the DSC-F828 and they all complained about noise on their pictures at heigher iso. Need to find out if that is also the case with the F717..
The DSC-F717 has lower noise than other cameras using the 2/3" 5 Megapixel CCD, and also offers a brighter lens. That's why I mentioned it to you.

The newer DSC-F828 has higher noise, because it's packing more pixels into the same size CCD (it's an 8 Megapixel 2/3" CCD, versus the 5 Megapixel 2/3" CCD in the DSC-F717).

As a result, the photosites for each pixel are smaller in the DSC-F828, requiring more amplification of the signal, for the same equivalent ISO sensitivity (because the photosites, they don't gather as much light). This amplification increases noise.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:11 PM   #22

I've done a lot of reading and a lot of looking at reviews. My girlfriend is going to go nuts if I say "digital camera" one more time

I have come down to 2 camera's. One of them I have looked at earlier (DiMAGE A1), but concluded that the macro funktion wasn't good enough. Boy was I wrong.

The2 models are:

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2/A1 and

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom.

I think that the C-8080 has a better picture quality, is better built and has got a focus range from 2" in macro mode. The A2/A1 on the other hand has got the anti-shake function, the big 7x zoom with "manual zoom ring", fast AF system, but the focus range only goes from 9.8" in macro mode.

But then again .... I have seen GREAT macro pictures taken by the A1/A2 so that should not be a problem.

Another thing that worried me was the fact that many reviewers have had problems with the AF system on the A2. A lot of thepictures taken was out of focus or blurry eventhough the camera had told them that the focus was ok. I have readsome topic's about the problem and it seems like the problem has been fixed?

Anywho .. suggestions/other views on the subjectthat couldhelp me in the decision would beappreciated.
ledderlappan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 2:12 PM   #23

I have recently purchased a DSC-T11 and the macro pictures are superb.

Will post some if you are still interested.(Since you posted some time back)

francop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:27 PM   #24

I might be able to shed a little light (pun intended) on the issues being discussed. I have most of the cameras which take great macro images (Nikon CP950, CP990, CP4500, Fuji S602Z, Fuji S7000Z, Sony DSC-F707, Sony DSC-F717, Pentax Optio S, six dSLR's, etc., etc.

My personal favorite for macro work are the little Nikons - but these cameras go far beyond just being excellent macro cameras. The small Nikons are best for both "extremes" of the focal length spectrum. They focus very close to the subject which "can" be both a plus and a minus for macro work. They also have relatively slow lenses which makes them less than desirable in low light focusing situations, but it's very easy to use a ring light or even a specialized ring flash with them which somewhat ameliorates that issue. The swivel lens is a major plus. The fact that you absolutely must use a sun shade (I recommend PhotoSolve's Xtend-a-View) is somewhat of a problem, but the trade off is worth it.

Let's talk about the other end of the spectrum. As a macro tool they stand above just about everything else. Incredible depth of field, distortion free (not so of the Fuji's) macro images made with the "sweet spot" of the lens, but here's the kicker. Do you want to shoot birds at 6000mm (not 600mm, 6000mm)?? You can do this with the little Nikons and get excellent results by using an inexpensive spotting scope such as the Meade ETX-90 as a lens.

Now for the bad part. For the ordinary, lower light day to day (indoors especially) use, you will find it difficult to focus. If you use the built in flash to shoot humans or animals you "will" get red-eye or steel eye (with animals) absolutely guaranteed. Yep, you can "fix" this in software, but it's annoying.

The bottom line is that in a fixed lens digicam they are simply unequalled for native lens macros. Now you "can" use diopter lenses and get just as good resuts from other digicams such as the Pentax FZ10. Danny Young (NZMacro) makes a livnig out of superb macros with the FZ10 and did likewise with a Sony before that. It's "possible" to get dynamite macros by using add-on lenses with many different digicams, but it takes some practice and some study to get the best. Out of the box, the little Nikons are the cat's meow for macros.

Below are a couple images from my CP990. The first is a little honeybee macro, the second is a Robin shot at about 2300mm through a Meade ETX-90 telescope. Just samples of the extremes possible with any of the CP series (CP950, 990, 995, 4500) Nikons.

Best regards,

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote