Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2004, 4:08 PM   #1

i have narrowd down ( i hope) my selection to Panosonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 or Olympus 765.

close ups of specialty sewing projects for customers-machine embroidery designs, finsihed projects, close-ups of fine laces, heirloom projects

hubby taking photos of his HO train world - ie scenery, cars, as he creates it.

photos of antiques

taking photos of birds at my manyfeeders,

also general family use.

open to any other suggestions

and thanks in advance
mrspeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:06 PM   #2

The FZ10 would be better for the birds. With f2.8 all the way to 12X and stabilization it gets great telephoto shots.

They will both do the kind of crafts you refer to.

The FZ10 has a hotshoe for a flash attachment. You can get an inexpensive automatic flash attachment that will improve your photos considerably over any built-in flash unit. If you don't think you want to mess with a flash attachment the FZ10 flash is on the weak side.

You would be more likely to carry the Oly around in your purse. The FZ10 isn't heavy but it is bulky compared to the 765.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:38 PM   #3

Neither are great indoor cameras...they need a certain amount of light in order to focus, and neither camera has a focus assist beam. Here's how focus works with these cameras:

Although they are good long zoom cameras, without a certain amount of light on the subject it can't see the contrast in light and dark mentioned in the above website. For closeup shooting you might need extra light on the subject.

FYI, I'm a C-700 user and learn all this in the past few years, although I get along with it most of the time. For instance, here's a shot of a penny I took with a special closup lens with the C-700 (lit up with a desk lamp):
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote