Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2004, 4:32 PM   #1

What's up. I just got a Canon S1 IS and had a few questions that you probably have seen over and over. Haven't received camera yet but did lots of research on this website.

Can this camera do an OK job when zoomed catching a moving object as long as it moves horizontally (not away or towards). I think probably not - just hoping it can catch images like these if possible and not all blurry etc...

I got 256mb card but figure need to get 1gb when I can afford it - correct?

Can camera do OK job with continuous focus on moving object?

Again, I know this isn't a pro camera but wondering what anyone thinks regarding these issues.

PS - my brother-in-law recommended Dimage Z2 but after researching decided to go with this camera instead. Dimage had chinsy body and no image stabilization. Z3 supposedly addresses these issues - I have a feeling the reason he recommended it is because it could focus on moving objects better than Canon S1 IS but is this true?
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:59 AM   #2

Hi ,The S1-IS is quite capable of taking excellant action shots ifused in continuous shooting and focus mode especially if you can prefocus .I have taken quite a few photos of my son playing Australian Rules Football and can shoot extended bursts at 2fps useing a sandisk ultra2 1gb card with no noticeable slowing of frame rate.This camera can follow diagonal or approaching subjects quite well as i was able to shoot a burst of frames of my son riding a biketowards me with all in focus .The secret is to shoot lots of frames!!.On the dpreview canon forum there are a number of good examples of action including some good shots of Kite surfing using the waterproof housing.Thefirmware update has improved things further on this front as thedisplay no longer freezes when shutter button half pressed to lock exposure in some modes.At least 1 gb card is well worth the money especially if you use the video mode .I know of one S1 user who owns 3 1GB cards and fills them in one day (great to show my wife who was amazed at me shooting 260 frames in a couple of hours!)

PS check out s1-IS hints and tips thread on dpreview:-)
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote