Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:58 PM   #1

Hi all

I am fairly new to my digital SLR (D70), but the other day captured some ammazing photo's at my local Moto X track, the owner saw me taking the photographs, asked to have a look, and he has now asked me to take photos for their web site. I need some advice on the settings ie : ISO, shutter speed, etc, if anyone has everdone MotoX photography. I own the Nikon D70 with kit lens. PLEASE HELP ME, i have to continue shooting on Thurs. I have been able to get some pretty good shots, but need some advice from an experienced extreme sports photographer.

Below you can see3 of the motoX photos i have taken. NB: these are posted on MSN's free service, so quality is no where near as good as the original.

PS: These guys move extremely fast !!!!!
CVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2004, 6:41 PM   #2

I don't own a D70, and I don't know the first thing about MotoX. However, I suspect that you'llneed shutter speeds in the 1/500 to 1/1000 second range for best results (especially when shooting a bike going parallel to you, versus away from you or towards you).

Of course, if you pan with the action, then shutter speeds used may not be as critical. You'll need to experiment to see how fast the shutter speeds need to be. You may even want to try a slightly slower speedfor creativity -- panning with a bike, letting the background blur from the panning motion. So, experiment.

Note that each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast, for the same aperture and lighting.For example, ISO 400 allows shutter speeds 4 times as fast as ISO 100.

Note that you can also shoot at larger apertures (smaller F/Stop Numbers) for faster shutter speeds, too. Shooting with a larger aperture also has the effect of decreasing Depth of Field. This technique is often used to blur backgrounds, making your subject stand out more. Your camera will have an Aperture Priority Mode, if you want to experiment with this technique.

Basically, Depth of Field is dependent on Aperture, Focal Length and Distance to Subject. So, the larger the aperture (smaller F/Stop Number), the longer the focal length, and the closer you are to your subject, the shallower the Depth of Field.

Of course, you may not have much control over focal length and distance to subject, to get the shots you want.

If I were you, I'd probaby just set the camera to around ISO 400, then see how the autoexposure algorithms do there -- checking for motion blur, and what shutter speeds you're getting.

Then, experiment with other settings (like using a larger aperture/smaller F-stop number in aperture priority mode to increase shutter speeds and decrease depth of field for effect to see how that works for different types of shots).

For questions specific to your camera, you may want to check out the Nikon SLR forum, too:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 4:40 AM   #3

Thank you very much for the reply JimC, i have been experimenting allot with the shutter speeds ISO, FOD, etc, but just cant seem to find the sweet spot for this kind of photography. I guess it will require more fiddling witht he settings. Thank you.
CVR is offline   Reply With Quote