Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 21, 2004, 8:59 AM   #1

I want to get one of those ultra compact digital cameras. I narrowed it down to

Pentax Optio S4i

Casio Exilim-Z-40

Canon Powershot S410

Sony Cyber- Shot DSC- T1

I actually bought the Pentax Optio S4i and I was content with its overall performance. However it got damaged and I had problemswith the warranty. I am looking again for another ultracompact digital camera. I want something that is really compact, with decent image quality, and with numerous picture modes a movie mode is a must. I would like to know is the Pentax Optio S4i still my best bet? I woud also like does anyone use a compact digital cameras like i the ones i've mentioned for professional shots?
HOTCAUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:44 PM   #2

I would personally go with the Canon S410, out your choices. It's got a larger 1/1.8" CCD, so you'd have less noise in your images, if you need to shoot at higher ISO speeds in lower light conditions.

Of course, if you liked your old Optio, then it may be fine for your uses.

I'd suggest avoiding the Sony, if you like to take photos indoors, since it's maximum flash range is only 5 feet.

I would also advise reading the reviews on these models, paying close attention to the review conclusion section.This is where Steve discusses strengths and weaknesses of a given model(startup speed,focus speed,cycle times, etc.) as well as things like flashrange/useability.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote