Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:37 AM   #1

I am looking into learning more about Digital photography. I've been using a digital camera since the first 1 MP camera came out a few years ago, and I've been using SLR's for longer thanthat. I would just like to get more into it. I'velookedat NYIPa few times in the past few years but always talk myself out of it.

Has anyone had any experience with this place, good or bad? I would like to doa real class with a real teacher, butI don't have that opportunity where I am.

Any help would be great.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:00 AM   #2

Your location is not in your profile. Is there a community/city college nearby. If so, check their non-credit classes to see if they include any photography classes. I have taken a number of non-credit classes at Portland Community College and with one exception, they were all excellent.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:32 PM   #3

I'm in the Army stationed in Germany. I have limited access to schools, mostly just basic courses like english and math.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:48 PM   #4

a friend of me take the course from PANAMA... and is very happy with it.

I thinkin to take it from here (ARGENTINA)..
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:09 AM   #5

My experience with the actual course was mostly negative. The bulk of it concentrated on studio shooting and that is just not even on my radar screen. I'm kind of out-doorsey and could care less about shooting indoors.
I only sent in the first lesson and it was "graded" by some (apparently) extremely elderly gentleman who turned the tape on (they send you a tape of the "instructor's" comments) and then spent the whole first side shuffling papers. Finally he started actually talking on the other side and had some pretty good comments, but mistook a shot of an old cemetary for a picnic ground. A lot of people have seen that shot and nobody else has made that mistake so this was weird. I did request a change of mentor, but kind of lost interest after I saw all those videos about studio shooting.
That said, I guess the information is pretty good. The articles on the website are excellent.
It's up to you, but I think an in-person class is the best for any visual arts instruction. There's a lot to be said for class feedback etc.
ttemont is offline   Reply With Quote