Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:06 AM   #1

ok. i am new to these forums so bare with me. this is my first post.

i covet the canon 1d mark ii. i have been using an e-10 for a few years, trying to move slow into digital from 645mf. this is the first camera i think i can live with. since i only have mf and the e-10 now, i'm not committed to any brand. i have used several over the years, but the last 35mm type slr i had was a nikon 8008s. i like canon at this point in time.

the thought of dust on the sensor scares me. i am wondering about using air blasters to 'clear' them. are there some that can be used without harm to the sensor? which ones? can i actually do some of this myself, or should i accept that i will need to have the camera serviced to get it cleared? is dust very problematic with dslr cameras? i will only have one lens for a time, so i hope not!

i guess i am a little concerned. after all, $4k for a body! and i may end up with two. brave new world.

thanks a bunch!

oab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:50 AM   #2

There are several things to consider. As far as I know, all DSLRs have a physical shutter screen just like SLRs. Also, there is a protective cover over the CCD element. But the first line of protection is the mirror. Unless your camera has a manual mirror lockup control, the mirror will be down anytime the lens is removed.

As for cleaning, it is not recommended that you try cleaning the CCD yourself, if you can even get to it. A soft brush and a LUBRICANT FREE compressed air can are the only things you should try. With the compressed "air" can, use only a slight pressure on the trigger to get a low pressure release. Try spraying it on a piece of paper towel first to see if there is anything that doesn't evaporate. If there is, don't use it on the camera.

Use extreme caution when working around the mirror and shutter shades. They are extremely thin and EXTREMELY fragile.

Bottom line--If you think there is dirt or lint on the CCD, take it to a professional for cleaning. If they damage the CCD, mirror, or shutter, it is up to them to repair as required or replace the camera.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:53 AM   #3

With all due respect I disagree. Anyone is is prepared to be both CAREFUL and patient should have no problem.

1. Use a LINT FREE cloth to clean the anti-alias filter which covers the sensor. I first wrap and then scotch tape the cloth to a plastic fork. I have a "wide" wrap and a "narrow wrap."

Do NOT blat it with an air can because there is a very small space between the filter and the sensor and if you manage to blow dust into this space you are in deep trouble. I used to occasionally give a light tap with my air can from a distance, but gave this up an ineffective.

There are a number of companies which sell a cleaning fluid just for this filter - I now just blow on the filter, as I would on glasses and then use my cloth.

Everyone has their own method - Mine is to clean with the wide wrap and then work from right to left with the narrow wrap, and then from the bottom left to the top left. Mind you, not going back and forth - I push from one direction only.

It used to take me three or four tries before it would be clean, but itnow takes about 15 minutes. Dust BTW, will not be a probhlem in shooting at below F10. It only shows up with very narrow apertures.

I use a plastic fork, because this will not hurt the filter, although of course the fork is wrapped in a cloth. You shouldn't be pushing that hard anyway.

I leave the mirrow alone! You can use air on the mirror

Annoying, but not really a MAJOR problem...

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:06 PM   #4

Get an E-1, it's self cleaning!! ;-)
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:40 PM   #5

Dust is just one of those things that happens. Learn how to minimize the possibility of exposing your camera to dust and how to clean your sensor when it does get dust on it. Dust shouldn't be feared (it's going to happen regardless). Common sense goes a long way to keeping your sensor clean. (Turn off camera prior to removing lenses, don't leave camera exposed without having a lens or cap on it, don't change lenses in a dust storm or questionable environments, etc) Finally, learn how to clean your sensor or have someone do it for you. Although care is required, it's not rocket science.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote