Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2004, 7:40 PM   #1

Whats going on with the camera makers. I see a lot of new 5mp cameraswith 12/5 ccds. I first noticed it with the new Minolta g530 and x50 then I saw a few new 5mp cameras with the 1/25 ccds.I also saw a couple of 4mps with 12/7.. last couple of years they were using 11/8 for the 5mps and a few were using that size for the 4mps.

Has the technology advanced to the point where the pixels crowded into the smallerccds will not show noise or are they expecting the photographers to use the noise cancelling programs I.E. noise ninja etc to clean up.

I guess only time will tell after these new cameras come out and people get to use them.
rsquiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:14 PM   #2

Please don't use yellow as your font. It's very hard to read.

JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:58 AM   #3

If you're using a black background I'm sure yellow shows well but with a white background, a person could go blind.

ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:27 AM   #4

You must mean 1/1.8" and 1/2.7" ccd's right? And please use the default color and size font as it was very hard to read. No, technology hasn't advanced to the level that there is no noise in crowded pixels, just that manufacturers can crowd pixels in ever smaller form factors. They think image quality is okay and that the average consumer woudn't know any better. Smaller ccd's generate more profit for manufacturers because they can yield more sensors per sillicon wafer (a circular disk of sillicon) than if it were the larger sensors.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote