Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:04 AM   #1

I know I am asking very basic questions but I am thinking about buying the Digital Rebel based on all the reviews I have read. I am in no way a professional (if that isn't obvious, I don't know what is), but I would like to take some amazing pictures of my two daugthers!

thanks if anyone cares to entertain such basic questions!
SurayaAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:50 AM   #2

An SLR is what is known as a single lens reflex camera. It refers to the way you view the scene through the lens via a mirror reflex. Typically, SLR's employ an interchangeable lens system so if you go that route, you can expectto have to buy at least one lens (if it's not included with the system). SLR's are typically "systems" rather than all included cameras.

One piece cameras, also called Point and Shoot cameras, will typically employ a viewfinder system where you are viewing the scene directly and in the case of digital through an LCD screen or viewfinder. The LCD can be turned to different angles to accomodate the viewer comfortably in many cases. Generally, there are few accessories needed with this type of camera. The lens will typically include some zoom range so that you can shoot pictures closeup or further away as the scene dictates. For most people that just want to take snapshots of their children, vacations, and things of general interest, this style camera will provide everything they want.

One cannot subjectively say that the dSLR camera is better than the P&S camera. Each have their own merits and place. There are some very impressive P&S cameras available that can take some pretty great pictures. Likewise, a dSLR allows one to get very creative but requires additional purchases to obtain some of those features. One has to narrow down one's objective.

You can take amazing pictures of your daughters with either type camera, provided you learn how to use your camera to its fullest potential. Depending on your budget, there are some great cameras available at the moment. Take a few moments to look at some reviews and comparisons that can be found at Steve's Digicams and other sites. When you narrow your choices down to a few models, ask in the forums about those models for inputs from actual users.

I have owned a Digital Rebel and can tell you that it is a VERY capable camera that can give you many hours of photographic joy. If you're looking for a camera that you can grow with, perhaps the Rebel is a good choice. But if you're just looking to take quick snapshots, you may be unhappy with your choice. Physically it is bulkier than most point and shoot cameras. The kit lens that comes with it will be fine for most indoor shots, but you'll find yourself wanting another lens when you go outdoors and try to take pictures of subjects more distant. Many people have complained about using flash with the DRebel. Personally, I didn't experience problems with flash, BUT I have been using SLR cameras for over 20 years. I won't comment on using the basic modes as I used the camera in the more advanced modes. You will hear many positive and many negative reviews on this camera. My feeling is that it is a great camera that will serve most people well. It does have some nuances that you must be willing to learn how to achieve the best results. It is not a camera that you can just pick up, aim at your daughter, and walk away with a perfect shot the first time you try. Like anything, there is a learning curve. The manual provides some very good information and if you take the time to work with the manual while you learn, you will quickly become quite adept at using this camera.

Lastly, I will leave you with this thought...."Cameras don't take pictures, people do"

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:43 PM   #3

Once again - OHenry is very accurate with his response !!

Not concise (HeeHee), but right on the button !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4

Lastly, I will leave you with this thought...."Cameras don't take pictures, people do"

Dude! I like you slogan! Hehehe!

judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 2:43 PM   #5

Don't forget you can also shoot video with some point and shoot cameras but not with SLRs.
redmikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 8:44 AM   #6

Another thing, you should consider your photographic ability...if you're only a point and shooter and you don't a shutter speed from an f-stop, then a dSLR is probably not for you.

It's like comparing a Honda Civic to a high-performance race car; if you can only handle the automatic controls of the Civic, you're going to be confused with the race car and not get the full benefit.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:41 PM   #7

Likewise, if your equipment lacks the capability...how will you ever learn to use it if you can't?

Photography isn't all that complex..and most people can figure it out eventually.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:11 AM   #8

Mikefellh wrote:
... if you can only handle the automatic controls of the Civic, you're going to be confused with the race car and not get the full benefit.
I agree with your point, but I would add that traditional SLR's (film, I don't have a digital) have "automatic" settings also. While you may not get the absolute best shot with auto, it does a pretty good job in general, IMHO. The best I can do today is still to use my trusty Canon AE-1 (30 years old!) with a couple of zoom lenses and some Walgreen's film. I simply adjust the exposure time until the f-stop needle is in the middle somewhere.

(A famous bit of advice from WeeGee, when asked how he got his great photojournalism shots: "F8 and be there")

Then I either get the lab to put the shots on Kodak Photo CD, or just print and I do the scans (to get into Photoshop, always the final goal )
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote