Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2004, 4:49 PM   #1

Hi, I just bought the cannon A80 and am having a great deal of fun with it.

After downloading the first round of images I noticed that they where 2200 x 1700 at 150 dpi.

This seems like a low resolution for high quality printing - and at a 150 dpi the native print size would be quite large and require a high quality.

So I should either change the size picure that the camera is taking or manipulate the image in photoshop. The first plan seems easier as it only requires one step. Before I start changing the image setting in the camera I was wondering what considerations should be made.

ImagesI wouldposton the web will be photoshopped down to 97dpi or 72 dpi (much lower than I would set the camera) and images that I want to print will probably not be larger than 4in x 6in.

What do you think is a reasonable resolution to be taking digital photographs at?

Thanks for the discussion.

jimndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:04 PM   #2

Let me give you a very non-technical answer re: "150 dpi"... Don't worry about it! Shooting at 2200 x 1700 looks like the best image quality for your Canon A80 and I suggest that you maintain that. It gives you a lot of options when you want to crop out part of your image and print at 5 x7 or even 8 x 10.

For printing there are many options, whether it be Photoshop or from your Canon software. One of the nicest pieces of software for printing is Qimage. It allows you to print images at all the standard sizes as well as an infinite number of custom sizes. Costs about $45 (US) and upgrades are free. The author, Mike Chaney, has a discussion area here on Steve's further down on the forum index. Highly recommended. Check: http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new A80!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote