Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2004, 3:14 AM   #1

My Canon A70 has had a busted lens for a while now (that's what led me to get an A80 temporarily then ultimately an S1 IS), and as far as I know the warranty (because of the circumstances) is probably void. (The lens is basically jammed.)

So... I was wondering if it would be possible to resurrect it enough so I could do infrared photography with it? I am thinking I might want to make several modifications to the camera, for example:
lens - change to something that does maybe 32mm to 80mm (35mm equivalent) (2.5x) zoom range with as wide of an aperture as possible - willing to settle for F/1.4 or F/1.6 but if I can get F/0.5 or F/0.7 at wide and F/1.0 at tele that would be nice.
sensor - since I want less noise and don't plan on printing more than 4x6 if I print otherwise would mainly display on computer, how about a 1 megapixel (1152x864), 1.2 megapixel (1280x960), or 1.5 megapixel (1408x1056), or if necessary 1.92 megapixel (1600x1200 but this might be a bit noisy) resolution on either (at the very smallest in which case I would NOT want 2 megapixels) a 7.176x5.319mm (1/1.8") sensor, or preferably a 8.8x6.6mm (2/3"), 12.8x9.6mm (1"), or even 18x13.5mm (4/3") sensor... (full frame (36x27mm or 8/3") would be nice but I don't think I could keep the camera and lens small with something like that.
Considering the lower resolution and larger sensor, I wonder if I could be able to set the ISO up to 6400 or higher (preferably in 1/3 stop increments) and still not have much noise when taking pictures with available light?
I would also want to add an IR light or something to enable a nightshot mode comparable to what Sony's V1, F717, F828, etc. have. I would basically like to be able if possible to get a proper almost noiseless exposure with a shutter speed of around 1/80" of objects within 10-15 feet of the camera in total darkness with IR mode turned on.
Also, I want full manual control over the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture even with IR mode enabled.

Any suggestions on what to do with my currently broken A70 to enable lower-light and infrared photography?

Or can you suggest a different camera that I could get for < $100 that will do this?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links