Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:45 PM   #1

I ran off some photographs on my Epson 2200 the other day, and they came out really dark. Usually I use the "photo enhance" option along with the "digital camera smoothing" option. This time for whatever reason I tried the "colour control" drivers (or option or whatever it's called.) The prints came out really dark. And I mean like "the flash didn't go off" kind of dark. So I tried using my usual settings, and the prints came out only very slightly lighter.

So I ran off some old photos that "turned out" ok last time. They are much darker too. WAY too dark.

This begs the question, could Windoze SP2 have messed up my printer drivers somehow?

I checked the Epson website; no new drivers yet. Is it worth trying a reintall of the present drivers?

Anyone else having problems with SP2?

Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:44 PM   #2

if when you installed sp2 it changed your printer drivers from epson to microsoft then yes, reinstall the epson ones...

as long as you have epson XP drivers, they'll be far better than any microsoft drivers...

the only reason you shouldnt reinstall the epson ones are if it says its for xp sp1 ONLY...
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 3:44 PM   #3

XP SP2 is bad news...so bad that IBM (Micro$ofts largest user) has told all of their Sys Admins NOT to install it!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:30 PM   #4

Yep sp2 still has too many glitches. Ive not tryed it myself but have only heard bad storys about it. If i were you i would reinstall Windows from scratch and save yourself a lot of head scratching by playing about with drivers.
Anyway,good luck.
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 5:04 PM   #5

You may try system restore to revert to the B4 SP2 point. All old drivers should be restored
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:07 PM   #6

Ever since Microsoft introduced Win 98SE, I have seen naysayers dump all over Microsoft's efforts to improve their O/S. 98SE was a huge improvement over 98, and hugely better than Win 95 SP2. From all I hear ME wasn't all that great overall, too much O/S for most systems of its time maybe. But XP SP1 went onto my system just fine, as did SP2. The only other issue I had with SP2 was a game that started crashing a lot. But by getting off my butt and getting the latest drivers for my vidcard; Isolved that issue immediately.

I have tried reinstalling the Epson drivers for my printer to no avail. Everything still comes out way too contrasty. I'm going to have to tweak my usual settings to soften things up a bit, so that I get more normal looking contrast and light levels in my prints. Hopefully Epson will address this issue soon for lazy people like me who just like to use the drivers as is, without deviating too far from the presets the software suggests. :lol:
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:34 PM   #7

Maybe the problem is that printer profile was changed? That would certainly cause you trouble.

Also, from all the people I've talked to, ME was fairly bad. It wasn't very stable for many people and it demanded a lot of resources for the time. The only saving grace for it was that its driver model was the same as 98, so many drivers worked very well with it. With Win2K (a better OS in many ways. Much more stable) the driver model was the NT driver model... which meant many things that people had at home didn't work. One might ask why a business-class OS was used at home? Because it was a much better OS than ME.

I don't believe people pick on MS because they try to improve their OS. People pick on them because of HOW they improve their OS. They change the interface so often I think it's to make more profits in their book publishing division. They don't put things into consistant places so the OS is less intuitive to use. (Some things are easily findable from the control panel. But between versions they took things that were accessable from properties on, for example, "my computer" and moved them! Why? There was nothing gained by changing that!)

I blame the public a little bit, though. We have learned from MS, and MS has learned from us (a chicken & egg problem) that features sell. Not stability. Not better use of resources. Not security. Features. I'd rather they improve stability & speed & use less resources in the next release. I don't need any more features right now.

You might think that MS does a good job. I have been a software developer for many years and I am good at what I do. I can tell you that their OS is not as good as it should be.

ps. Of course Win98 was better than Win95. Win95 was their first serious attempt to put DOS into the background. They learned a lot from doing that in the first version and did it much better in the second. One of the primary rules of software development is that the second version is much better than the first.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:08 PM   #8

About upgrading to Windows XP SP2 - Jeff Levy from KNX 1070 Los Angeles has this to say (paraphrased):

Don't be on the first rush to get it. Call your neighbor and tell him "Hey Windows XP Service Pack 2 is out! Let's go put it on your computer!"
You let YOUR NEIGHBOR install XP service pack 2, then you camp out nearby and wait for the clumps of hair to come out the window, or to hear a scream of dispair. Then you know that it's a little to early to jump on the WXPSP2 bandwagon.

I know I didn't say it EXACTLY the way he has said it on the air, but I think you get the idea.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:58 PM   #9

While you can blame a lot of people for M$ bashing, you can't deny their record.

I've built computers & used their Os's for over 20 years. I am sure of what I think about regarding M$ & I think their general business practices BloBigOnes! I've never seen a company so intent on denial & smoke-screening. I've been at invitation only rollouts for Win 98, ME (WTF was that?), Win 2000 & Win XP & can assure you that if a dissenting voice was heard, the company would do whatever it could to remove it...it was worse than an Amway meeting!

As for M$ being the market leader, I still use their products, but that doesn't make me a lemming. I am seeing more & more companys moving to some form of Linux/Unix these days & welcome the change, for ease of use alone!
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:51 AM   #10

I've got SP2 on one of my machines. After some initial teething(random reboots) it is working fairly well.

Random reboots caused by 2 outdated Nero components, after each crash a Crash Analysis program started and sent me directly to a nero link to get updated code. I did have to upgrade to Nero R6, so more $$ outlay.

And I had an older nonstandard GeForce dirver that had to be updated to a current standard driver.

After all the updates, XP-SP2 is running fine, though the machine (1.6Ghz, 1gb memory) is noticably slower.

Good to keep at last one Wintel boxfor browser compatibility tests, most of ourother workstation and the server are Linux Mandrake based.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote