Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:50 PM   #1

i am new to filters and a friend had lent me a few..

i noticed on the back of this hoya uv (0) filter that it has some retaining ring to hold in the glass into the ring. there is a bit of play in this and the glass isn't 100% percent secure within the ring.... is this normal? its nowhere close to the point of falling apart but is this a general characteristic of hoya filters?

there is also a very very small faint scratch that i cannot seem to wipe off the surface of the filter. i tried to capture it in the picture, but appearently, it didn't show up.. again its really really faint... would something like this affect my picture if it were mounted infront of a lens?

how large of a scratch/dirt/dust would there have to be to affect the final picture?

here is another pic...... again, i can't see it here.......

trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:07 AM   #2

Retaining rings do sometimes come loose with use. It can be fixed at a good photography store, or you can gently snug it up.

Of course anything on the filter itself can show up in photos...maybe if the light hits at a certain angle the scratch will appear in the picture; the main reason for a protective filter like the UV is for *IT* to take the damage while your camera lens remains unharmed.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:33 AM   #3

I would not worry about the filter rattling in its holder. I have several that do just that..and it does not effect the photo at all.

As for scratches on the filter. You generally will not see them on your photo. However, if the scratch is severe enough, it will bend the light, and you will notice the image appearing in your photos.

This has to do with depth of field. For instance, you can shoot through a dirty glass window, and if your depth of field is way past the window, chances are the viewer of your photograph will never know the window was there. IF the window is dirty enough however, it will degrade the quality of your final result.

Try this with a window screen, however, and your results will vary. Chances are, that window screen may act as a diffraction grating, and will cause havoc with your photos, regardless of how far the depth of field is away from that screen. The reason is how light reacts to certain objects.

Now back to that scratch. If you don't see that scratch affecting your photos, then I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are, that scratch will not act as a diffraction grating, and thereby cause image quality loss.

If it is big, deep, and bends the light as it comes through...then it is time to throw the filter away. Try pulling the retainer spring off, and keep the filter holder. They can come in handy as either an adapter down the road..or become an excellent chassis for your own home made filters.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:39 AM   #4

hey thanks alot for the input guys.

just for the record i stopped by Downtown Camera to gawk at some filters. George was extremely helpful and very brutally honest, as he seems to be a very frugal photographer himself, he gave me the run down on the differences between the B+W, that i had my eye on, and the Hoya HMC Super.

The multicoat is a superior filter according to him and he has for himself seen a difference in using this over other filters. Prices of both are $29.99 canadian, $5 cheaper than the nearest competitor, Vistek $34.99, and not too far away from competitive ebay prices ~$16-20 USD.

The better filters are SUPPOSED to be loose in their rings. why? George said that this is because under different temperature extremes, the glass and metal expand and contract at different rates, so most high end filters are designed to 'float' in their housing.

He also said that the B+W shlott glass thing is old news. Its been around long, but there is nothing all that special about it. Optical glass is of the highest quality, but its in the coatings that make the difference to the light getting thru the lenses into your PICTURE.

He also mentioned that they opened up a brand new B+W to find it lightly scratched and pitted, so he questions their quality control.
From his opinion, the Hoya HMC SUPER is easily and visually the best filter out there.

trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote