Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:40 PM   #1

Hello, I am new to digital photography and want to try to be organized from the start with high quality photos.

What are your favorite softwares for editing and / or albums? I would like to use somehting that maintains my origianal info and something that has a solid history - do not want a fly by night situation that would not be supported in the future.

Thank you,

aiannar974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:36 PM   #2

I'm fairly new also...but am finding that there is NO one software that does it all...I use various pgms depending on what I want to do...IrfanView for some things, Picassa for others, Microsoft Phot Editor for some, PhotoShop LE for some, PreClick for some...sothat's my current situation...you may find the same thing...
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:19 PM   #3

DonĀ“t want to sound too obvious, but the only editor on my system other than 3rd party stitching software, is AdobePhotoshop CS...unbeatable, and you will almost definitely NEVER learn ALL its secrets. Takes a while to learn, but once you master the basics, you will never use any other program....

Your alternative is Photoshop Elements which is a watered down version (Or "Elements" of its big brother!), but if you are serious, it will start to frustrate you and you will upgrade anyway. Start with, and stick with the best!!!

Have fun

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 9:33 AM   #4

The new version of Adobe Photoshop Elements (Version 3) which was just announced includes both editing and album functions. I have not seen a release date but it should be out shortly. It appears to combine both Photoshop Elements 2 and Albun into a single integrated package as well as offering a number of new editing functions (such as "healing brush") not available previously in PSE2.

Hope this helps.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 4:03 PM   #5

For pure album creation, I use jalbum (you can find it in google.)

Is it the best? No, but its flexable, simple and free. All the other free ones I saw (or shareware ones) were missing some feature I wanted or only had that feature in the "for pay" one. This one does everything I wanted and it's free.

I edit in PhotoShop CS. As others have said, very good software. A little hard to understand at times, but worth the effort.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote