Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

Take two similar cameras, say Canon A80 and A85. Same number of pixels but the A80 has a bigger sensor and consequently my reading has told me "bigger" pixels.

How does this play out in Image quality?!?! Everyone seems obsessed with # of pixels and while I know other things like lenses and processors can affect quality, I'm wondering all other things being equal, what about pixel "size" (not number of)???:?
Gatortris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2004, 4:02 PM   #2

Compare the quality of pictures taken with a six or eight megapixel DSLR andthose taken by a point and shoot camera with the same number of pixels. That should answer the question for you. In general, P&S cameras do very poorly when ISO values are higher than about 200. Most DSLRs produce superior quality pictures up to 800 or even higher.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 5:35 PM   #3

Are the image sensors in the upcoming 7MP cams the same size or largerthan the sensors in the same-model line 5MP models? And if they're the same size, has the question of noise performance been addressed or is that ignored in the MP race? And I apologize if this is a not a new question!
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote