Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:54 PM   #1

I am getting ready to take a trip out of state and will need my camera. I plan to take as a "carry on" bag. I wonder if the scanners will have any affect on the memory,battery or the camera itself . I had them "burn some undeveloped 35mm negatives a year or so ago.

Trique Daddi

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:33 PM   #2

It shouldn't harm any of the things you mentioned, people send laptops through all the time. I might be worried about my memory also, but you could always just take that out and send that through in the little coin tray that doesn't get x-rayed.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 5:00 AM   #3

as long as you keep your memory cards in your cabin luggage you shouldnt have a problem. Problems have been reported only for cards that passed through the main suitcase scanners, which are much more powerful.
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:31 AM   #4

Well, I've seen this hotly debated on other forums, and really don't have an opinion. HP claims that media and firmware can be effected. Chances are, it would take strong X-Rays or Magnetic Fields.

Here is what HP has to say about it:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:35 AM   #5

I've personally never had any problems with this (including on a journey from Las Vegas to London with plane changes in Atlanta and New York, with the camera passing through the scanner at all three American airports - presumably just in case I'd somehow converted it to a bomb whilst travelling on the previous leg of the journey :-)).
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote