Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2004, 3:00 AM   #1

Someone has asked me how their camera will work in the cold. He's got a cannon a80 powershot and LisM rechargeable batteries. He thinks it'll get to around -30 degrees Celsius or colder and he's worried about things like the LCD and other workings in the camera.

Can anyone help?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:26 AM   #2

The specs should be in the back of the manual. My Nikon CoolPix 2200 says 0 to 40 C (32 to 104 F), so minus 30C sounds like a problem. Of course, mine also says 85% humidity max (no condensation), which is routinely exceeded here in Houston, TX ...
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:50 AM   #3

mine says 0 to 40 celcius too...but it will certainly drop below 0 here in toronto, we could see -20 easily, so i dont know how much i'll be using mine either...
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:55 AM   #4

You will probably have problems with the LCD working (as you guessed) and the battery life will be really bad. To help with this a bit you could keep the battery inside your jacked. That will keep it warm for awhile. But you won't get many pictures off of it.

Could you damage the camera? Maybe, I truly don't know.

But there could be another serious problem. If the camera gets really cold (which it will) and then you bring it inside where the air is warmer and humid you will get condensation on the camera. Getting a camera wet is not good. It can even get inside, which will kill the camera really quickly.

To prevent this get a ziplog bag, open it, and leave it outside for a bit (say, in your car.) Then put the camera in the bag, seal it and bring it inside. That way it can warm up in the bag, surounded by air which has little moisture ('cause it's outside air.) Cold air doesn't hold moisture (which I think is why you can see your breath in the winter) so you'll use that to your advantage.

Hope that helps.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

Strange how this topic comes up every now and then, usually just before winter for some reason :lol:

Here is a similar thread covering this topic from last year

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I've passed it all on.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:12 PM   #7

All consumer cams will say that temperature range, although many have used them in colder temps. If you have a camera that runs on NiMHs, see if you can get a lithium equivalent for your camera.

The worst thing is going from the cold to the warm...moisture will condense on electronic components and there is the possibility of shorting things out. What many do is bring out a ziplock bag with them...when you're ready to go in put the camera in the bag along with some cold, dry air and seal the bag...after the camera warms up to room temperature inside the bag, then you can take it out.

Note, I haven't tried that myself.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 6:30 PM   #8

Condensation is a killer for cameras, digital or chemical. Let the camera get cold and stay cold until you bring it indoors. Wrap it in plastic - I like a bread bag twisted up at the end since it is easier to handle with cold fingers.

Batteries will have less capacity in the cold. If you are using AAs, look for some disposable lithium batteries. Much longer life than NiMH.

I have heard of the LCD blacking out, but since I haven't had my camera out below -30F (-34C) I haven't seen that happen. Those who have reported it say the LCD comes back to life when it warms up, YMMV.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:59 AM   #9

If you are going to be in extreme cold, you can also pick up a

DPS 9000 Lithium battery which works great in low temps and has a boatload of reserve to shoot pics.

Just search on Froogle and you can find them
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote