Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:57 AM   #1

I'd like to gather opinions on this. What do you think would change in the compact digital cameras of the future. By compact I mean non-SLR, so midsized prosumer cams are included.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Up to now we had the megapixel race, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8MP unfortunately on the same small size sensor. As a result the noise levels have increased. Pretty soon consumers will discover that buying a very high resolution digicam doesn't bring the expected jump in quality. IMO the time will come and fairly soon when the industry should start using larger sensors, something like Olympus 4/3 for instance. This would increase the bulk and price of the compacts, but the jump in quality will be very noticable. What do you think?
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:06 AM   #2

The average consumer (non-educated) wants a p&s that makes no mistakes but wants it as small as possible. A larger sensor would mean the need for larger optics...personally I love having a 38-380mm camera (real 5.9-59mm) that I can carry my camera without carrying a lens that's 1/2 foot long, and that only weighs 11oz.

I was just talking about in another forum here that professional medium format digitals start at 11mp, then go to 16mp and then 22mp...how much higer can consumer cameras go, especially considering most consumers own printers that can't print larger than 8 1/2x11?

I think you'll see more non-traditional cameras included in PDAs (devices like Palms) and cellphones improve, like the Samsung 3mp 3x optical zoom camera phone http://www.yenra.com/samsung-camera-phone/ and more stylish cameras like the Olympus Stylus Verve.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:06 PM   #3

I hope it never stops growing into whatever?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:50 PM   #4

[b]I agree with Mike's prediction about cell phones and PDA cameras becoming more commonplace, although I think that Samsung phone is going to have to evolve quite a bit - it's really just a traditional camera with cell features built-in, not the other way around.

But with new tiny optical lenses being developed that can be placed into actual cell phones, I think this is an area that will grow rapidly for the next few years. Once the image quality becomes good enough that you can do really good 4x6 - 5x7 prints with them, you'll see them in the hands of 3 year olds. lol. People are realizing that it's handy to be able to take in "image" without needing a detailed "photograph" in some situations, so these cell cams are the next convenience for that. I have one and will review it on my site shortly - takes pretty horrible shots, but it's still very handy.

In terms of consumer level cameras, you're starting to see some innovation. Panasonic adding image stabilization to regular 3X zoom models, etc... that sort of thing. I think eventually, sensors will drop enough in price that they'll increase physically in size in consumer models, so the 8-10MP models will actually have good low noise quality. They won't shrink too much more - as far as a primary camera, people can only hold something so small and still take a photo.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:22 AM   #5

Phone cams getting better all the time, probably why this little gem came about. Not that I would go about looking for undressed people on government lands with a cell phone firmly in hand :G:-):-):lol:

U.S. House of Representatives
Committee on the Judiciary
F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr., Chairman
News Advisory
For immediate release
September 21, 2004

House Approves Video Voyeurism Legislation
Offenses Punishable by up to $100,000 Fine and 1 Year Imprisonment

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The House today approved by voice vote legislation
imposing civil and criminal penalties for those surreptitiously
photographing or videotaping a person naked or partially naked on federal
lands. The Senate passed S. 1301 in July and it now goes to President Bush
for his signature.
House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-Wis,) said
"With the development of smaller cameras and the instantaneous distribution
capability of the Internet, the issue of ‘video voyeurism' is a huge privacy
concern. Unsuspecting adults, as well as high school students and children
have been targeted in school locker rooms, department store dressing rooms,
and even in their homes."
"Many states have since passed laws to target video voyeurism to protect
those in private areas, but there are fewer protections for those who may be
photographed in compromising positions in public places. S. 1301 makes the
act of ‘video voyeurism' illegal on Federal land such as national parks or
Federal buildings, using the well-accepted legal concept that individuals
are entitled to a reasonable expectation of privacy. It also serves as model
legislation for states that have not yet enacted their own laws or need to
update existing laws to account for the rapid spread of camera technology.
This crime would be punishable by a fine of not more than $100,000 or
imprisonment for up to 1 year, or both," added Chairman Sensenbrenner.
S. 1301 was introduced by Sen. Mike DeWine (R-Ohio) and spearheaded by Rep.
Mike Oxley (R-Ohio) and others in the House.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote