Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2004, 4:37 PM   #1

I'm trying to make some quality images of an Intgerated Circuit (IC) wafer and have some success thanks to your help. I'm to the point now where I need to consider a copy stand for my Nikon D70 and varoius macro lens and extenders. I'm hoping for an economical stand that's strong enough for the D70 and heavy lenses such as the 105mm Nikon micro, plus teleconverters & extenders. I have a Manfrotto 3419 slider positioner to help with the fine camera verticel position control. Any help is greatly appreciated.

maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2004, 5:28 PM   #2

I've used copy stands when transferring photos to video, but for macro-photography or ordinary objects I stick with a trusty tripod that can support the camera and lens, set up the tripod as usual but put two of the legs against a sturdy table, point the camera down at the table, and this is where you'll put your subject. A lot less trouble and cheaper since you're using the tripod you already got (just have to watch so it doesn't tip).

But, check out http://www.bhphoto.com and type in COPY STAND to see what they carry (they start at $45 and go all the way up to $6000 so there's a wide variety).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 6:33 PM   #3

You may also want to consider using a tripod with a center column that can be re-attached to the legs at a right angle (e.g., Manfrotto 3001BPRO, Gitzo, etc), which you can set up to cantilever the camera above your work surface.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote