Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:27 PM   #1

So I got my Canon S1 IS finally! and... i'm going crazy looking for accessories and now a print source.

Alright I hope I didn't bring up a discussion thats been brought up before but I found 3 sites that look alike and I care about quality and I care about cost effectiveness. Out of the three which would give me the best balance between quality and price.

I've seen a Canon Photo Printer spit out a print and was really amazed but I didn't want to do the math to see how much it actually costs per print on your own photo printer. I mean I could see adavantages having your own printer for manipulation purposes or just having the convenience of having the prints there right away.

Costco is really really cheap but the lines are horrendous and I don't know if paying for a costco membership to get prints there is worth it.

Does anyone have their say in this subject?
mnarciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:05 PM   #2

Retail outlets like Wal-mart, Target and Walgreens have digital printing services where you can bring in your memory cards and have them printed up right there in the store while you wait. In most cases, the cost is less than 30 cents per photo. Some places have "clubs" where you can join and get volume discounts if you make lots of prints.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:05 AM   #3

I've heard good things about all of the services you mention. I've personally tried Ofoto and Shutter Fly and liked them both, but I believe Ofoto prints were a little darker. Most of the online services give you 10 prints or so free (they used to anyway). I'd sign up for them, submitt the same prints to each and do your own comparison.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:22 AM   #4

Forum Member RyanHposted a comparison in a similar forum thread a while back. At that time, his choice was http://www.winkflash.com

Here's what he said after comparing them to Ofoto.com, Snapfish.com, SamsPhotoClub.com, and Photoaccess.com:

Ijust got my pics from WinkFlash.com and they are great. The colors are great and the paper is Fuji Crystal Archive. I ordered some glossy and some matte. All great quality. I also tried out their "border" option on a matte print and it looks very nice.

The pics came in a nice hard cardboard envelope with separate index sheets for my matte prints and my glossy's. Price was .18 a print. Shipping was free, but slow (probably because it was free). I ordered prints last Sunday and received them the following Monday. Not bad, but not as fast as others.

I think I am making WinkFlash.com my new online printing option.
Of course, things change, and quality is always subjective. Also, I suspect that most of these services use similar equipment, and the way it's maintained may also be a factor in the quality you get at any given point in time.I just wanted to pass on what RyanH found from his experience a couple of months ago. See this thread for more details on how they compared at that time:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:24 AM   #5

shutterfly, ofoto, and snapfish were the three I tried, first 10-15 4x6's free so I sent in some duplicates to compare. snapfish was the cheapest and fastest but the other two's prints looked better imo. Not that snapfish was horrible, but I can come close or do better at home with an epson c80 printer. shutterfly had the best looking prints I think. with the freebies I think it cost me about 5 bucks shippingto try em all out, so hit the websites, and see who you like best.

Kodak also has a 5 for the price of one deal you can get off their website and try at their Kiosks @ walmart, CVS etc.

Cant comment on the canon printer, never used it.
gruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:44 AM   #6

thanks everyone for your comments, I was hoping was going to comment on a personal photo printer like the canon i960. I do care about quality and price. Winkflash looks great. I have now read RyanH's thread and that was very informative, does anyone have a photo printer and knows the cost per print using your own photo printer? I can imagine it'd be more but I'd just like to hear everyones thoughts on it and if its worth it.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:01 PM   #7

I have used shuttefly, ofoto, and costco and I don't see much difference between any of them. Shutterfly and ofoto used to give you 15 free prints when you join, but don't know if they still do. I have used Costco most of the time because I only live about 2 miles from them and their cost for a 4x6 is only $.19 I had about 300 prints made of my trip to Maui last year and I shudder to think of how many ink cartridges and photo sheets I would have gone through. My wife and I had all of the shots printed because she likes to "have the photo in hand". I just burned everything to a CD and took it in. I have also just used the CF card. Works fine either way.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:33 PM   #8

Your other option is to print on your own paper your "best" photos.

If you use acid free paper, your ink jet prints should last for years especially if you put them in archive sleeves, available at any office supply store.

I have had prints from my HP deskjet in these sleeves for five years with no change in prints.

Good luck

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:57 PM   #9

Sorry I didn't pipe in sooner. I was on vacation last week with no net connection.

Here is a quick rundown.

Winkflash.com - Awesome quality, Fuji Crystal Archive paper, professional "wet" printing, inexpensive, free shipping.

PhotoAccess.com - Great quality, changed from Fuji Crystal Archive paper to Kodak paper.

Ofoto is nice. I used to use Ofoto til I found WinkFlash. I would suggest you stay away from Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, etc. My experience with these places has been poor quality prints. The stores I have used don't use professional wetchemical printing.

Costco & Sams Club provide great prints and are inexpensive.

Hope this helps a little. I still need to "throw" together all of my online photo printing findings.

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:22 PM   #10

Perfect rundown! Thank a bunch. I have started using winkflash its great =).