Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1

Is it really true that with digicams, you get best results when you take pictures one resolution below the highest available? For example if you had a 5 megapixel camera, you'll get better stills at 4 megapixels? I read this somewhere and I'm curious if this theory is actually valid.
Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:06 PM   #2

I have never heard of anything like this and I am certainly no expert (as you can tell by my posts), but I can't imagine that it could be true. For example, if you had a 2mp camera, it would not make sense to take a picture at 1mp. I say this because my first digital camera was a 1mp Kodak DC215 and while it took "acceptable" pictures, I always wished for more mp. This may not hold true when you get up to the 5, 6, or 8 mp range.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:21 PM   #3

i guess it would depend on wat you mean by "better results"

you won't get as much resolution, but you get less noise...maybe?

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:52 PM   #4

The question is how the camera arrives at the lower resolution picture...assuming it uses the whole imager matrix and resamples, a lower resolution picture can look better only because there's less information. It's like when you look at a poor quality picture on the camera's monitor vs. looking at it on a 19" monitor or print it out to the maximum size...defects aren't as noticable at the lower resolution, but it's a trick since there's less information, and anything like hot pixels gets blended in with the picture.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote