Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:50 PM   #1

Got my new Nikon 8700 and one week later headed south to the North Carolina coast for a week at the beach (took about 1800 photos!)

While on an excusion to Bear Island-sometime between debarking the ferry and re-boarding my lens got scratched.
It's about 1/8 in long and quite deep. The origin of the scratch is a total mystery as I was inordinately careful with my brand-new treasure. However, it's there and that's that.

The scratch is almost in the center of the lens. I have examined my photographs onscreen and have printed several but I cannot find any marks or distortions. I'm not quite certain how that can be but I'm very glad.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a fixed lens repaired? Can the defect be ground out? Is there anything to do? I'm sure the warranty won't cover this damage, though I will investigate anyway.

My question to experienced photographers is also this...even though I can't see any marks on these photographs, if I use add-on lenses or slower shutter speeds or any other settings, might distortions show up?

The purpose of this ramling and perhaps disjointed (LOL) post is to just get some advice or opinions from anyone who had either.

Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:04 PM   #2

My heart aches for you. Nothing takes the glow off a new toy like a scratch or a dent, even if it still works OK. My new Pentax Optio S4i got mysteriously dented while left on a desk. It still takes good pictures, but it's just not the same.

I don't believe the lens is repairable. I don't think it could be ground without wrecking the optics. But that's OK. It doesn't seem to be affecting your photos. The Nikon lens has 14 elements, so maybe you can get away with a defect in one layer. And even if a defect does show up in your pictures, you can probably fix it most times in post-production.

(A timely reminder for me to put a UV filter on my Canon Powershot.)

muskrat sam is offline   Reply With Quote