Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2002, 3:01 AM   #1
Default What is Compactflash "Type I"?

I am getting a Nikon coolpix 2500 and it calls for compactflash type I, what is "type I"? I do not see that listed on the ones in the stores, all they say is compact flash and the size like 64mb, etc.
I have asked this question in quite a few camera stores and no one seems to know.
I want to buy a bigger card, do I have to use the type I? or can I use the regular ones like the Sandisk I see in walmart or Target?
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 5:14 AM   #2

Type I is thinner than type II otherwise they have the same form factor. A camera with type II slot will also accept type I, but not vice versa (ie a type II card is too thick to go in type I slot!)

The link is kind of out of date since am Iomega 1G microdrive, one of the fastest is now only $249 at Ritz stores across the nation...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:22 AM   #3

Just to add a little to what NHL has said - you will probably never see a Type II card in places like Walmart or Target unless it's a MicroDrive.

The vast majority of camera stores only carry Type I Compact Flash in non MicroDrive configuration. Type II, as NHL said, are a little thicker, but otherwise look exactly like a Type I.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 6:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the information, I am learning slowly, this is a GREAT forum.
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 9:26 AM   #5

CompactFlash Type I is what most people (and stores) refer to as just CompactFlash cards. For a while about a year and a half ago several manufacturers put out CF Type II cards with higher than the going average capacity but this soon stopped when they got the higher density memory chips that enabled them to go to larger capacity in the CF Type I card size. Now we have CF Type I cards up to 1GB and the only CF Type II device that's out there now is the IBM Microdrive which comes in 256MB, 512MB and 1GB sizes.

Physically the Type II devices are thicker and require a CF Type II card socket, most cameras only have a CF Type I card socket so they cannot use CF Type II devices. A camera with a CF Type II socket can use either Type I or II cards or devices.

Here's a picture of both types of cards:

For a complete rundown of flash cards see these pages:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote