Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:00 AM   #11

Being a professional photographer is a great career."AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR DAY JOB". I sold Harley parts for a living and did Photograpy to pay for My Corvette and Long vacations,Motorcycles and Just for ENJOYMENT. It is a great hobby that pays for itself and a few extras. I did freelance and I did some stringing for the Newspaper. I'm Retired now,but I still do some photography when I can.It helps pay for some food and My Medication. Social security does not go far. I only do some portraits or Pet photo's now. I will do A small wedding as long as no booze or long reception is involved. I do photo's for My Church. It is Fun, No $$$ but the pleasure a photo gives people is reward enough for Me. I would suggest to start out on A part time Photgraphy career and have A good Day or night job to support Your Family. If the Photo career takes off it would be great but all of the photo studio owners I know have a hard time trying to just do photographs to make a living. Even the Big name photorgaphers do books and teach schools sell equipment, Etc to suplement their income.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:29 PM   #12

Greg (BTW, you share your name with a late and great Canadian racer) I didn't go to photography school and photography is actually my second thing behind reporting. I learned photography on the fly at my second job, and recognize the need to take some courses eventually. I've learned some about the various aspects of lighting, etc. but obviously you learn something (hopefully) everytime you shoot.
A couple of things you mentioned were how many cameras are out there and how the industry appears to be cutthroat. Here's what I would say to those two:
1. Yes, many people have cameras. Even cell phones now have cameras. But considering the number of cameras, there hasn't been an equal increase in the number of photographers it would seem. By learning more you have a chance to work through the sea of cameras and gain work because people will recognize you know the field and how to do pics.
2. Yes, the industry is cutthroat, but what industry isn't? Name a possible field, odds are you'll run into some tough opposition. Don't let the number of people with similar talents/interests deter you, because you'll find talented people in any field you consider.
Hope that helps.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote