Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:42 PM   #1

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed ad nauseum, a search didn't find any discussion of it for me.

Those little flashing twiddles next to the data entry screen are remarkably annoying and take up useful screen real-estate as well. If this is user configurable, I suggest you make the default screen -not- have them.

If I feel a need to express emotion in a posting I would be perfectly happy to do so in English text.

ameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:16 PM   #2

They don't move for me, I run ZoneAlarm Pro with

Privacy Tab-> ad blocking -> block all banner/skyscraper, pop up/under and animations clicked on.

As well as Cookies -> block 3rd party, disable web bugs, remove private header info.

I see very little in the way of animations or advertising. However I know a lot of people do like the animated icons. :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3

oh man...i wish i could remember...

this was discussed back when the forum software was changed...but i can't remember how you turned them off...

i think you can turn GIF animations off in "internet options" in the "tools" menu of your browser...

but i do remember there being a button you could press to stop them from moving (had to be pressed each page though :-\)

if you search "bcoultry" s threads...you should be able to find it...

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:13 AM   #4

PeterP is right. I used to stop them from moving by disabling animated pictures (GIFs) It worked very well.

Unfortunately I have moved away from IE (insecure piece of...) and switched to Opera. I can't disable animated GIFs in Opera, so I'm stuck with them.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:38 AM   #5

In Internet Explorer just clickthe stop button on the toolbar. For me, this stops all animated GIFs and many animated ads, although the advertising is getting more complex and is not hampered by merely hitting stop. I'm not sure if there are specific IE settings that would cause this to work or not to work, but it's always worked for me. You'll have to do it each time you load a page, though--it is not, of couse, permanent, it just stops the current page.

ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:30 AM   #6

Geez, can't you guys find something more important to complain about :blah:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:01 PM   #7

I forgot to warn you guys - Steve is always Lurking about !!!

He worked very hard about a year ago to upgrade this site.

We are honor bound to let him keep his little irritating "Friends".

Whatever happened to Bcoultry by the way ??
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:09 PM   #8

Re-reading the original post, I believe the original poster not only wants the emoticons stopped, but totally OFF THE PAGE to make the editing window LARGER:

"and take up useful screen real-estate as well."

I have to agree, maybe a text link instead to replace the emoticons with the words "view emoticons" to open up a window to show and pick the one you want, just like the "More" in the emoticon window does now.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote