Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:54 AM   #1

What is wrong with this photo?

I've made myself a light tent and this is one of the first photos I took.

It is straight from the camera (EOS 20D). The WB was set to auto and was in Av mode set to F22 to try to get some depth of field.

It looks lousy to me. I didn't expect to get perfect results straight away but this didn't even come up to my low expectations.

Does that histogram look right? I've never seen one with three peaks before.

I had 4 lights on it. A 300w floodlight looking down from the top left, a 500W video light top right and a couple of 200W lamps looking in from the sides.

Any ideas how I can get a better shot?

Attached Images
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

id say open up your lens up to f/8 or wider, i wouldnt go up to f/22, you start to see dust spots, and your images get dark, and you need a lower shuterspeed, which can cause blur, are you useing a tripod?

do you have a light meter?

im not sure how bright the light is but use these as a guide line...

above 1/250th and use a tripod

wider than f/6

manual focus if you can....

and the orange background could be causeing a orange tint that you dont want...

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3

I've shot some available light pix that exhibit the same amber color cast as yours.It's almost assuredly a white balance problem... Automatic White Balance is the only significant problem I've encountered with the 20D. It would be nice if it were perfect right out of the box, but it isn't.

To verify my conclusion, try re-shooting the picture in RAW mode then alter white balance in post-processing. You can also try re-setting the white/black point with the eyedropper to correct the problem even in a JPG file. Once you've committed to JPG file format, modifying White Balance is pretty limited.

Try re-shooting with some of the other built-in white balance setting including tungsten and flash. Once you produce the results you want, you can set the white balance that produces the result you're looking for.

Custom White Balance is also an option for you, although it's a little harder to do, it gives you the maximum flexibility. Look at your user manual, page 50.

Finally, you can bracket the White Balance to troubleshoot these issues.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:33 AM   #4

Thanks both, I will try both of your suggestions.

I was using a tripod with self timer to avoid shake from my finger. I don't have a separte light meter, as for focus, I tried some AF and some MF. I am using the kit lens so that might not be helping matters.

I had noticed really bad dust spots earlier on and tried cleaning the sensor. I think I just moved the dust about rather than removing it.

I was shooting RAW+JPG so I will have a fiddle with the RAW and see what improvements I can get.
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote