Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:24 AM   #1

I just recently saw an ad, that had a 3.1mp 4x zoom camera with a CMOS sensor for $99. It is on http://www.concord-camera.com/produc.../digital_2.htm.

I'm thinking about getting it for my girlfriend for Christmas. She's not super tech savvy, so as long as the picutre quality is acceptable that is fine with me.

It's the Eyeq3040. They also have it Amazon.

Any info or experiences that anyone has had with these cameras is welcome.

Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:17 AM   #2

I looked at a few websites that have digicam reviews, but out of those only this website has any reviews of a concord camera.Most of the others didn't even list the manufacturer. Here there are reviews of 4 concord cameras, none of which is the camera that you specified. However, all 4 are Eye-Qs. Maybe you should take a peek at those reviews.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:38 AM   #3

Most non-DSLR models using CMOS sensors tend to take relatively poor quality photos.

Even in the Concord Models using CCD versus CMOS Sensors, image quality seems to be poor. For example, Steve's review here says this about the Concord Eye-Q 4460z:

The 35-105mm (35mm-equivalent) zoom lens produced below-average results in our testing; not a single one of our test shots could be considered sharp

If I were you, I'd stick to a name brand manufacturer (Kodak, Olympus, Nikon, Konica-Minolta, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji, Canon, etc.).

Make sure to read the reviews for any model you consider, and pay close attention to each review's conclusion section.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:58 PM   #4

Yeah, I noticed Steve's reviews of the Concord's were all poor.
Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:01 AM   #5

I have several concords in my store...

I believe the eye-q 3030 and 3040...

While they are technically 'on display' if people ask I immediately turn them to a Nikon 2200, considering I have tested, and even at 2 MP vs 4 MP the Nikon gives better prints even at 8X10! :-)

Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:27 AM   #6

A couple of years ago, I had a Concord Eye-Q Go LCD (1.3 MP) camera. I liked its small size (no excuse at all to not have a camera with me at all times) and picture quality outside in bright conditions wasn't too bad--but indoors, the CMOS sensor was way too "noisy" to go without the flash and the flash was way too bright for anything closer than about 6 feet and too dim for anything about 8 feet or more away! Between 4 and 6 feet, I'd even put a finger over part of the flash to "choke it down" a little.

After about a month of use, the CMOS sensor seemed to go bad. All of my photos were noisy as heck and very blue/purple. I returned the camera to the store and got a Kodak.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:29 PM   #7

You'll see these among other third-party name brands on Ebay quite a bit these days, and places like drug stores and pharmacy photo departments carry them in their display cabinets.

I'd consider it an ok gift for a child if you find one on clearance, but as others have said for the wife/GF, stick to name brands. Even the cheapest Kodak/HP/Nikon/whatevers these days crank out better shots than these off-branded ones.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote