Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1

Coming from a film camera background, I'm learning more about digital cameras.

Manual digitals have the same shutter speeds as a film camera, but I haven't seen the f stops. For example, the f-stops on Digital Rebel is at f/4.5-5.6. f-stops on film cameras go f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16....f32. How do you manually control f-stops on a digital?

Also, on the Digital Rebel, one of the exposure modes is listed as Depth-of-Field AE. AE, I take is Automatic Exposure. How exactly does it let you control the depth of field? For example, I want to take a picture of a single tree from about 20 feet away, with nothing around, and want the background to be out of focus.

TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:12 PM   #2

You are reading the information on the lens. f/4.5-5.6 means the largest aperture at the smallest focal length is 4.5 and at maximum telephoto, the largest aperture is 5.6. Neither of those numbers is very good. The actual f-stops are controled by the camera.

On the specs for a lens, the smaller the number the better. If there is only one number (e.g. f2.8) it means that the largest aperture is f2.8 at all zoom settings. A lens of this type is more expensive. Typically, f2.8 is the smallest number you will find unless you want to spend a LOT of money.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:53 PM   #3

As "calr" said the F4.5-5.6 you mentioned is the maximum aperture of a zoom lens. It's most likely the Canon EF 55-200mm telephoto zoom. I could not find the minimum apertures of that lens but as an example the Canon EF 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 has a minimum aperture of F22-36. You canselect F stops witha digital camera just as youcan with a filmcamera (inaperture priority or manual modes of course).
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

That reading came off a Digital Rebel. I'm considering getting one. Do you know if it comes withan AC adapter? Also, how does the Depth-of-Field AE on it work?
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:34 AM   #5

Why don't wesee aperturessmaller thanabout f8 on non-DSLR digital cameras?
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:52 AM   #6

I would be shocked if it comes with a AC adapter. It will come with a battery charger, though. You could check out steve's review:
And see what he lists for standard equipment

My guess is that the DOF AE tries to maximize the aperture without droping the shutter too low for that focal length. I don't know if it adjusts ISO or not (that could work well or really badly... depends on where the cap is.)

Actually, this is an interesting/non-trivial question.
Non DSLR almost always have a really small imaging sensor. To match this, they fit them with really small lenses (why waste resources making a bigger one that is wasted?)

This combination creates a much larger depth-of-field than an 35mm lens does with the same specifications. There is really only one reason to have a small aperture. To control DOF. But those cameras already have a large DOF, so what is the point?

The answer to that is macro, I guess. Even with their large DOF, for Macro you still probably want a smaller aperture. I think this is part of the reason why some cameras have a "macro" mode. Maybe it plays tricks with the lenses to get even more DOF (and adjust focusing distance.)

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:31 AM   #7

EOS RT wrote:
Why don't we see apertures smaller than about f8 on non-DSLR digital cameras?
IMO this is more of a practical reason more than anything.

The f-stop is the ratio of the focal lenght over the effective diameter of the lens, and since the diameter on theses non-dSLR lenses are already small: How small do we want theses pin-holes to be?
-> There's a mechanical limit and tolerance on how to make theses apertures infinetely smaller (also increasing the cost in the precision required for almost negligible gain in DOF)

F/45 is available on some Sigma dSLR macro, but it's rare!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote