Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:27 AM   #11

Be careful: IS/VR is very effective @ solving the camera shake part (ie photographer/camera), but not the subject like this 1/20s image of a walking man from Luminous Landscape illustrates, and no way for the IS/VR to detect/compensate for:

... A higher shutter speed is still needed with action shots if subject movements are involved :idea:
-> No magic bullet here: Higher ISO and faster lenses are still required (for the needed shutter speed)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:15 AM   #12

I shoot Weddings. It is now A pleasure because I no longer even bring a tripod to the wedding. I handhold all of the photographs using My D100,SB28DX Flash on A Stroboframe Flash bracket that keeps the Flash above the lens(Horizontal or Vertical) and 24/120 "VR" Nikon lens. It is all I need. I used to carry about 50 pounds of Hasselblad Equipment and a heavy tripod. Now I only use what I just described and the end results are the same or most of the time better then the old days. The "VR" lens is just a perfect lens all around. At the times I do use a tripod. (40 or 50 portraits and need to be consistent) I just turn off the "VR" feature like Nikon tells You to. and It is a regular "G" lens.
As someone said, "It soes not stop blur in the subject You are photographing if they are moving, But if they are still and You need that extra F-Stop You have it.
I drag the shutter for group shots in the Church to get the back-ground well lit and I can still get the people lighted just perfect. Just try that handheld with a non "VR" lens without A tripod. Believe Me when I say it can't be done everytime consistantly like when using the "VR" lens.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote