Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:46 AM   #1

I have a Olympus D-360L digital camera and I want to start getting more nicer looking photo's with my digital and have a couple questions

What is the best setting or situation to reduce red eye in pictures (I am not good with using softwear after the fact) and how come professional photo's never have red eye??

If I want to do some pictures without a flash of my son who is 8 months old and moves non-stop what is the best way to so that so they do not come put too dark or blurry...any tricks ??

philamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:05 AM   #2

Using the redeye reduction flash mode will help (the preflashes help to shrink the pupils, which makes it less noticeable). But, the only way to really eliminate redeye in some conditions is to use a camera with an external flash. More light also helps (so that the flash doesn't have to fire as strong, and the pupils are smaller to begin with).

As a general rule, the closer to the lens the flash is, the greater chance of redeye.

For taking photos indoors without a flash, you need a camera capable of shooting at higher ISO speeds (which makes the sensor more sensitive to light), as well asa very bright lens.

Otherwise, you'll get excessive noise (similar to film grain) as higher ISO speeds are used, and/or motion blur (both from camera shake and from subject movement, since the shutter speeds needed for proper exposure will be too slow).

With your model, I'd try increasing the ISO speed if you want to try shooting without a flash. Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast.

Then, if you don't like the noise/grain, use software tools to reduce it (to a point). A good free tool is Noiseware, available at http://www.imagenomic.com

But, you may find that you're better off using the flash and correcting the redeye later to avoid the image degradation from noise.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote