Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:51 PM   #1

Could someone please help me - i am planning on buying a Casio Exilim Z50 or 55 and was just wondering do they have a Black and White shooting capability as i couldn't find anything about photo effects from the reviews.

Asho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:03 PM   #2

I checked the Z55 review here, and see Sepia listed as a scene mode. I didn't notice B&W (but I didn't look that close for it).

You're probably better off shooting in color, then using an editor to change to B&W later anyway (regardless of which camera you choose). That way, you'll have a choice of which way you want to print an image (and more control over the conversion to B&W).

If you shoot in B&W or Sepia, you won't have a choice of color later.

Many printer drivers even let you specify B&W (print Grayscale) without converting the image at all.

There are a multiple ways to do a conversion to B&W. One is a simple gray scale conversion (which is what most cameras are going to do with their B&W mode).

One free editor that can do this is is Irfanview. You can download it from http://www.irfanview.com. Then, download the free plugins, too.

You can either convert one image at a time (under Image, Convert to Grayscale), or you can convert multiple photos using Batch Mode. To use Batch Mode, go to "File, Thumbnails" and select a folder. Then, use the "File, Start Batch Dialog with Selected Thumbnails" menu choice. You can add more photos to the ones you want to process then.

Make sure to select a different output directory so that you don't overwrite the originals (especially since you don't want to ruin them if you make a mistake). Also, make sure to select the "Options" button by your file format you're saving in (which will default to JPEG), so that you can select the desired JPEG Quality.

Then, select the "Advanced" button, and you'll have lot of options (including resizing, converting to grayscale, etc.).

The better way to convert to B&W is by using a channel mixing feature. Here is a tutorial on the subject:

You can also get actions using different techniques to do this for you. Here is an example:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote