Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:15 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera (4+ megs) with which Ican shoot time-lapse. I know there are several models that can shoot, say, once every10 secs, 30 secs, 60 secs, 5 mins, 10 mins and 60 mins.But supposing I'd also like to be able to shoot once every 2 seconds, and once every 6 seconds, or whatever. I'm talking true time-lapse here; if we can shoot time-lapse, we ought to have complete controlover the time element. Also would like a wireless remote control to be available. Is the Pentax Optio750Z capable of 1)complete control of the time element, and 2) wireless remote control? What other cameras in the 4 to 7 (or so) meg range have these capabilities? I need such a thing for some fascinating work I'm about to do. - Mike Cady

mikecady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:47 PM   #2

I saw someone with a requirement for shorter intervals between photos a while back, and the only solution they found was using the Harbortronics Digisnap 2000 (you can set the interval as short as desired) using a Nikon model with a serial cable to it.

So, I doubt if any of the newer camera models would work with shorter intervalseither. Here is the Harbortronics Home Page:

P.S. -- make sure you look at each camera's ability to take photos at intervals this short, too. You have other considerations (autofocus lag time, time needed between photos before the camera can take another one, etc.). Most models have bottlenecks in this area (limited write to media speeds, etc.). So, you don't want to set the interval too short (otherwise, the camera won't be able to keep up).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:25 PM   #3

The 750Z interval mode is 10sec to 99 minutes. There is a remote available for about $20. The best you could do would be to just hold the shutter release down in continuous mode – you get 5 shots at 1 second intervals followed by an indefinite number at 3 second intervals.

I don't think you are going to find a camera to do what you want without going to a DSLR.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:03 PM   #4

Thanks very much JimC. No, I don't need a camera with rapid-time lapse capability, but I do want something thatcan take pixmore often than, say, once every 30 seconds; want to be able toset my own interval -- 1 sec, or 2 sec, or whatever, on up to, say, once photo perhour. Harbortronics.com looks pretty good for remote (but unfortunately, wired) control. I think I'm tending toward the Nikon Coolpix 5400. Harbortronics remote control looks better than Nikon's MC-EU1. - Mike Cady
mikecady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #5

I'm looking for a similar capabilty, and it appears that the Ricoh Caplio R4 has a minimum 5 sec. interval, in 5 sec. increments.
fun21x is offline   Reply With Quote